News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Norman Maclean & Me

Started by Highlander, April 27, 2013, 06:33:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Highlander

Remembering the end of the brilliant novella "A River Runs Through It" I too now look upon my life in fishing. Whilst there are a few things I have not done I feel in what is my later life I have done enough so it really does not matter, If my family had their way I would be fishing manicured loch banks & not my beloved highland waters. But I guess they are right about the highland waters as the old bones are suffering now & hikes in are sadly a thing of the past. But do I care, memories are  good & I can feed from you guys rantings if I wish.
Sitting on the bank of the Gryffe last Sunday I felt happy within my self. Other than a few slight mishaps which I put down to what seemed a long close season I am happy with my fishing.

This Highlander content?  ..................... I think not. A picture from a while back, same river though.
:roll:
My casting  is good, fish with a bit of style my motto "always with style" . All in all I am content with my lot. Not that I can not learn of course you can that goes without saying but I know enough to get more than bye in any situation.
All in all a happy camper.
Just wondered if any of you "mature students of the Arte feel the same way as the years close in.
Tight Lines
" The Future's Bright The Future's Wet Fly"

Nemo me impune lacessit

Inchlaggan

I never really got the "fishing as a challenge" thing, no requirement for whumpers, numbers, extreme locations or species caught.
It was always an escape from the humdrum, wage-slave, in the city.
Now retired to the Highlands that I always loved, I can pick and choose when to get the rod out. That is the excuse I use for old bones- conditions not as I want them, then just stay indoors.
I still try to learn, I'll never know it all, and try out my new learnings from time to time. It is not an issue if the new techniques do not produce a fish, reverting to tried and trusted methods rarely works either!
At a slower pace of life the "escape" mentioned above is not so imperative, but my hours on the loch or river bring the same contentment as before.
'til a voice as bad as conscience,
rang interminable changes,
on an everlasting whisper,
day and night repeated so-
"Something hidden, go and find it,
Go and look beyond the ranges,
Something lost beyond the ranges,
Lost and waiting for you,
Go."

Wildfisher

When it comes to fishing I am laid back to the point of indolence.   Like Ken  I don't see fishing as a challenge, just getting through life is full of challenges, so why add to them?

I also have a great unease with the concept of "qualifications" in fishing - no insult or criticism  intended to my many friends who are, but for me this is the antithesis of what fishing is about.
Fishing is about getting away from stuff like that.

I was out today, walked 6 miles in the freezing cold, almost stood on a snake, got soaked crossing a river, caught sod all. I really enjoyed my day. That for me says it all and sums my attitude to fishing perfectly.  It's not really all about catching fish. :D

burnie

Interesting, maybe harks back to my match fishing when coarse fishing, but I work a lot harder for my fish than I ever have for a wage.Concentration can be so hard that I used to get headaches,fair bit more chilled now,though the old specimen hunter still raises it's head and have to catch "a bigger one", though now it's me I'm competing with.

Billy

Just being there is enough for me. When it gets too hard to walk into the hills I,ll just use boats. I have already started the planning when I bought a drogue a couple of years ago. For the past few weeks I have been watching a fish rise in a certain pool but I,ll get to it soon enough and if I miss it there will be othersww.

Billy

Part-time

Quote from: Highlander on April 27, 2013, 06:33:23 PM
Sitting on the bank of the Gryffe last Sunday I felt happy within my self. Other than a few slight mishaps which I put down to what seemed a long close season I am happy with my fishing.

Sounds like you've reached true fishing 'enlightenment' Highlander :)

Don't like to think of myself as mature just yet ( :roll:) but for me enjoying your fishing is number one priority. No matter whether you are fishing bandy loch paradise, stalking whumpers or even blanking who cares so long as you are having a good time :D

Sandison

I'm in the same 'camp' as Ken on this one..
Bruce Sandison

Bobfly

There is plenty of simple contentment to be had walking to the waterside and along the banks as there is at the fishing.
Stopping and just looking about is time well spent I reckon and it seems to stretch out a bit as the years go by.
~  <°))))):><       ~   <°))))):><

13Fisher1

Fully agree and can relate to Highlander. Fishing is my "escape" from work, airports, clients, traffic, everyday challenges, problems and stresses, people and sometimes yes even Family! If being honest prefer and seek out places or times that mean low chance of meting people and too many other anglers preferring and valuing solitude, weird yes I know. Often think that it's a misconception about angling being relaxing as often find myself pumped up with excitement and nerves on edge with anticipation when fish are taking!

Whilst I moan about (many) blank trips its not really about catching loads or huge fish which is just as well, for me its escaping, appreciating and recharging. Having said all of this I value and enjoy the camaraderie of fishing with my friend and brother in law or nephews but for different reasons.

I love Norman McCaig's poems,wry wit and love of Assynt loved the book "Loch of The Green Corrie" and documentary about his last wish for his pals, recommended reading. Read a book recently by an American trout fly fisher who mirrored life in his attitude and love of fishing, really good and thought provoking. Anyway thanks Highlander.

Allan Crawford

As good as it gets Highlander  :)

Go To Front Page