News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

loch rannoch water levels

Started by Its Me, May 19, 2013, 04:01:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Its Me

Passing Rannoch yesterday on the way to Laidon and noticed the loch was the highest we had seen it in years.tThis got us thinking as to why it has been kept high since probably the eighties.
The loch fished better when the water level was lower.  For years now the fish seam to be a lot further out and in a flat calm a lot of fish are seen rising at about 100 to 150 yards out at probably about the eighties water height.
Are the electric board holding the water back to make money in some way.
whats your thoughts on this.

andy

rannoch raider

Hi Andy, Just spotted your post. I was up in the Rannoch area at the start of the season. It was still thick with snow up there. I had intended to have a walk around another loch but it was fairly well frozen over.  Anyway, I returned to the east end of the Rannoch to camp for the night and it was as low as I had ever seen it. The water was remarkably low and well beyond it's normal levels at the head of the loch which is pretty shallow for a fair bit. I had noticed that the inflow from the power station on the north shore was closed. There wasn't much water coming down the Gaur either. Plenty of snow but cold temps at that time probably meant not too much water to top things up. I liked the look of the loch with less water. It seemed to have a lot more fishable areas.
I sat and took in the views up the loch that night and despite it being a very chilly and still night there were two fish moving right at the waters edge as it became dark.

I went up a few weeks ago and most of the snow had gone from the hills . The power station inlet was flowing hard and the loch was way up. Nothing moving, very cold and another blank for yours truly !
Maybe just a combination of storage, availability and supply and demand. Wish they would store it in Ericht rather than Rannoch.

Go To Front Page