News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

It's Roasting

Started by Wildfisher, July 06, 2013, 10:20:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildfisher

What makes me say this is conditions that are considered hopeless here - high summer, low water, brilliant sun and roasting are exactly the kind of conditions  you hope  for when fishing in New Zealand.  Dull weather is, in fact,  a pain. It's just the approach that's  different.  There is one Scottish loch I know where I would only go if the forecast was brilliant sun and calm, I fish that as I do in NZ - sight fishing.   Could   the NZ approach be applied wider here?

Last time I was over there I asked our guide mate  Pete Carty if the hatches in spring meant better / easier fishing. His response  was "this is not a hatch driven fishery". I think it's fair to say that, in the main, we consider Scotland to be a hatch driven fishery or at least we find the fishing more reliable during the main hatches - spring being a case in point. Does it have to be like that?

Fishtales

I think it depends on the river/loch. George and I fished last year in blazing sun and temperatures in the high twenties/low thirties and it didn't affect our catch rate from the start of the week when it was cold and overcast. We didn't change tactics either and it didn't matter whether we were on river or loch or even what loch. If the fish are there and feeding you will catch in just about any weather.
Don't worry, be happy.
Sandy
Carried it in full, then carry it out empty.
http://www.ftscotland.co.uk/

Looking for a webhost? Try http://www.1and1.co.uk/?k_id=2966019

east wind

Quote from: admin on July 06, 2013, 03:45:44 PM
we consider Scotland to be a hatch driven fishery or at least we find the fishing more reliable during the main hatches - spring being a case in point. Does it have to be like that?

Yes I think so, very seasonal as well. A clear hot day in late March can be a good thing not so much in late May. I think mostly for ideal fishing conditions it's the time of year, time of day, food availability and then weather. I'm sure there are exceptions and I'm sure it's possible to winkle out trout in all sorts of conditions but for me it all becomes a bit too much of a chore, not much fun really and I start to think I should be doing something else.

One thing I think we learned this season is when it gets too cold for long periods save the fuel and effort.
Listen son, said the man with the gun
There's room for you inside.

scotty9

Ideal conditions are when you have free time to get out! Ok, the absolute ideal conditions are usually when you don't but you get the idea  :D

The rivers are very low and clear right now and I'm enjoying the best fishing I've probably ever had in Scotland over the last 2 weeks. Catching good fish every trip, however, they are all coming between about 23:00 and 03:00... Goes against what one might usually expect but it's working!

Wildfisher

Quote from: Roobarb on July 06, 2013, 06:00:37 PM
I think what we really mean when we talk about good fishing conditions is easy fishing conditions for the way we normally fish - a warm westerly and overcast on a loch or a falling and clearing spate on a spate river for instance.

Exactly the point I was trying to make without actually saying it.  :lol:

scotty9

Quote from: Roobarb on July 06, 2013, 06:05:40 PM
Most of my best West Country trout were caught late at night on sea trout lures so it doesn't surprise me at all.

Andy

Night time is great, totally agree. I was more meaning that most people tend to avoid low rivers and blame the conditions when they don't catch. I think you're spot on with people looking for the easy, comfortable what they're used to option, it's awfully hard not to fall into the trap of familiarity.

My biggest issue isn't so much weather, I don't really mind conditions, it's easy enough to deal with most things but in terms of different fishing methods or flies or approaches I find it really hard to make a conscious effort not to use what I know.

east wind

If I go out on what are considered good conditions, weather, river height (low water doesn't bother me), time of year or day, I can still come back disappointed. If I go on days where the opposite prevails I rarely if ever come back pleasantly surprised.
Listen son, said the man with the gun
There's room for you inside.

Wildfisher

I was just wondering if the current low clear water and sun might be an opportunity for a bit if sight fishing?

benisa

Was in Cuba last week Temps at 35
Now's that's warm :P

Midgie Hater

Interesting.

I've been deterred from visiting my local river in recent weeks as the water levels have been very low. I was going to go this week (and indeed today) until my work colleague and Manager (the person who introduced me to this insane but wonderful activity a few years back) told me "don't bother. There's hardly any water and there's lots of algal growth too". I also figured that in the bright sunshine the low water issue would compound things and maybe put the trout off the feed except for some places where there is a lot of bankside vegetation and overhanging foliage to provide shade? Of course there are pools as well as runs and riffles - and many of these (on my local) can be in pretty inaccessible parts of the river. This got me thinking however: said "inaccessible" areas tend to be so because they are a) surrounded by cast-thwarting trees and other veg. and b) difficult to wade towards with confidence - in a bid to get into position because of said vegetation - because of Stream Power (a concept created by hydrologist G.E Petts which is kind of related to discharge but much more than that - the river system's total - well - power. Sorry, undergrad. Environmental Science moment there ;)  ). However, when the flow is so low and gentle some of these areas do become approachable, and i'm guessing they will, even in these kinds of conditions hold fish - and probably hungry ones too provided the water temperature isn't outwith the optimum range for brownies?  Not sure if this helps the discussion but just a thought :)

Go To Front Page