News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

It's Roasting

Started by Wildfisher, July 06, 2013, 10:20:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Dryfly

Down in chalkstream land its between 25 - 30 degrees and I've been living in the garden for a week with another week of the same forecast.

It's not so much the bright light that's making the fishing tough. The big problem is the water temperature. It's just too warm to wade in, like being in a bath :D

scotty9

Quote from: admin on July 06, 2013, 07:52:04 PM
I was just wondering if the current low clear water and sun might be an opportunity for a bit if sight fishing?

Absolutely! Go to the right place, get the sun at the right angle and enjoy  :8) It's hard as whilst you can sight fish it's still through slightly stained water but very possible. Missed the strike on a sighted trout over 5lb (two people's estimates) a fortnight ago...

Midgie, don't be deterred by low water, if you want to go out, go out! You might need to approach areas differently or tailor your fishing but it's very possible.

Midgie Hater

That's what I was wondering Scotty hence positing the thoughts on different approaches. Thanks :) Tbh though, the only real limiting factor is "can I be bothered cycling to the river in high heat to find it barely a trickle?" ;)  - and anyway it's academic today thanks to the "No Sunday Fishing" rule on my "local", but I think i'll made the effort tomorrow evening.......probably  :roll:

Wildfisher

Well after a much cooler day on Wednesday, getting slightly warmer again  yesterday it looks like today is going to be a melter. It's already roasting at 9.00AM  :8)

Billy

I was out on the Don last night for a few hours and had some fun with the wee trout on the dry but never spotted anything decent. Again I had dozens go for the fly but very few connected.

As I was leaving the Auld guys  started to arrive so I think thats where I am going wrong. Talking to one of them he said it was better to fish later in the evening and I suppose there is the chance of a sea trout if they can get up with the water being so low.

I did manage to check out a pool I have had my eye on for a while as it was easy to wade across to it. A good deep hole and it would be perfect holding water for a couple of decent fish.
The plan for next week is to go home and have something to eat and then head up later and fish into the wee small hours.

Billy

haresear

On rivers, I find that during these hot days, you can still catch fish by fishing the fast water. If you find a very slightly deeper pocket in a riffle, it will very likely have a fish in it.
Ideally I would use a light nymph in that situation, but on many of our lowland waters slimy weed can be a problem, so often I find myself restricted to dry fly when I would rather be fishing sub-surface.

If there are no upwings on the surface, I fish a beetle or an ant or something. I like to have some legs on show to make the trout's mind up that it isnt just a leaf or whatever, but looks like food.

On those sunny days, particularly with little or no cloud cover, spotting fish can be an option, particularly if the water holds bigger fish. I spot where I can and fish the likely fast water "blind" where I can't spot. I don't bother with waders on warm sunny days, but just wear quick drying trousers.

The other option is to do as Scotty does and fish late on. It is something I do rarely as I prefer fishing during daylight - just my personal preference :)

Alex
Protect the edge.

Wildfisher

Quote from: haresear on July 12, 2013, 11:35:45 AM
The other option is to do as Scotty does and fish late on. It is something I do rarely as I prefer fishing during daylight - just my personal preference :)

Aye, I'm past it too Alex.   :lol:

Leave the all night long stuff to the youngsters.  :D

Wildfisher

Well after a very uncomfortable, hot night, walking The Dug at 8.00AM it was still, humid sticky and very uncomfortable.

I could see the promised cold front coming our way south over the Angus Glens.  Delineated by an obvious  wall of cloud, straight as a die. It's here now and it is a big shock to the system I can tell you.

Feels bloody Baltic.  :lol:

Good weather to return tomorrow apparently.  :8)

Go To Front Page