News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Petrol Head Drama

Started by JIMCCS, July 20, 2013, 09:59:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JIMCCS

Watched a documentary about the rivalry between James Hunt, Nikki Lauda and their teams, Mclaren and Ferrari last night. What an era that was. Even if you`re not a motorsport fan, it is a good story and well worth a watch.
Ron Howard`s made a movie about it as well.

Wildfisher

I saw a good one the other night about the insanity of class b rallying  in the 1980s  F*****g loonies and that includes the spectators. The only real surprise is not more were killed

Harpo

Quote from: admin on July 20, 2013, 10:11:54 AM
I saw a good one the other night about the insanity of class b rallying  in the 1980s  F*****g loonies and that includes the spectators. The only real surprise is not more were killed

Aye that was a great watch, as was the le-man documentary

zeolite

Quote from: admin on July 20, 2013, 10:11:54 AM

It happened in Scotland too you know. I was involved in organising rallies for many years and I had a few "discussions" with errant spectators and photographers.
Schrodinger's troots pictured above.

Wildfisher

Not being interested in motor sport  I had no idea what was going on in the '80s. I was gobsmacked when I saw that.  Lunacy.  Some of the eejits running that should have been jailed.

burnie

I am a bit of a petrol head, followed a bit of motor racing, mostly bikes and a bit of old classic car racing. F1 has never really grabbed me, but I would love to go to LeMans. I used to enjoy grass track racing as a yoof and got closer to the action than was healthy, but it was a buzz and I still enjoy tearing round country lanes a bit faster than I should. Got my eye on a Westfield/Lotus 7 little open two seater, but not much good as a fishing car.

corsican dave

Saw the documentary too and loved it. I couldn't help thinking that the spectators were the real problem, not the b class cars. Having been stood trackside in keilder and covered in sh1t by both Carlos sainz and Colin macrae (sainz was a much "cleaner" driver, btw. Macrae was faster, even tho' he was sideways....), I was we'll aware of the risks everyone was taking. For that guy who got injured to claim that it was the driver's fault was just preposterous. His mate was much more realistic. Bring back group b I reckon. Let's see the biggest, baddest things out there. If anyone's ever seen the le Touquet beach race with its anything goes mentality you'll know what I mean. Dakar spec bikes vs enduro 450s. Awesome. Sorry if that's not PC  :shock:, but you know me by now :8)
If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're probably doing something wrong - John Gierach

zeolite

Quote from: corsican dave on July 20, 2013, 08:42:50 PM
Saw the documentary too and loved it. I couldn't help thinking that the spectators were the real problem, not the b class cars. Having been stood trackside in keilder and covered in sh1t by both Carlos sainz and Colin macrae (sainz was a much "cleaner" driver, btw. Macrae was faster, even tho' he was sideways....), I was we'll aware of the risks everyone was taking. For that guy who got injured to claim that it was the driver's fault was just preposterous. His mate was much more realistic. Bring back group b I reckon. Let's see the biggest, baddest things out there. If anyone's ever seen the le Touquet beach race with its anything goes mentality you'll know what I mean. Dakar spec bikes vs enduro 450s. Awesome. Sorry if that's not PC  :shock:, but you know me by now :8)

I was in Keilder for those years as well Dave. 94 and 95? I never worked the RAC/Network Q as that was my holiday!

You do realise that present day cars are much faster than the Gp Bs. Biggest difference is rubber although transmission and electronic traction devices have made a difference too.

The Corvette club are having an autocross (US style in a car park) today at the local mall but I am stuck in here all day! I want to give my Mustang a bit of a work out and I am missing it.  :(
Schrodinger's troots pictured above.

corsican dave

Quote from: zeolite on July 21, 2013, 05:21:17 PM
I was in Keilder for those years as well Dave. 94 and 95? I never worked the RAC/Network Q as that was my holiday!

that'll be the years! :D i think they were also the last years of the trabant?
If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're probably doing something wrong - John Gierach

Go To Front Page