News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Two Die At Scottish Reservoir

Started by Highlander, August 06, 2013, 08:55:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Highlander

Are we going to hear maybe one year no one has drowned after taking a dip in loch,rivers & quarry's........... I doubt it.
Two incidents recently in rivers & now two young men lose their life in a dam.
Not fishermen  but doesn't make it any easier sad to say.
When are people going to learn not to swim in such situations. I really do not believe the mentality of some.
I am only glad that you guys would not do such crass things or at least I hope not. Such a waste of young life's.
Tight Lines
" The Future's Bright The Future's Wet Fly"

Nemo me impune lacessit

emc

You and me both, Alan.

We recently had a double drowning down here, flooded quarry, multiplicity of signs re danger, keeping out of the water. One of the rescue divers struggled to get out of the weeds where the first body was found. Next day people were swimming again, photos in the press of people swimming next to a danger sign. So they locked up the site.

Next day the locks had been broken...........

Brain dead springs to mind. Unfortunately no brain, just dead.

alancrob

Indeed a very sad loss of life. However...

The news tonight was all about how to stop people taking risks in open water and how to protect people from the dangers! If this had been 2 five yr old kids I might be a bit more inclined to agree but these were adults who had lived in the area all their lives. Adults, at least 1 of which chose to go for a swim.

Short of draining all the reservoirs or covering them with domes, how do you stop adults from making such choices?

Very sad but I know where I think any blame should stay.

A.

Wildfisher

Quote from: alancrob on August 06, 2013, 09:22:20 PM
Very sad but I know where I think any blame should stay.

Agreed on all counts.

Guddler

Quote from: alancrob on August 06, 2013, 09:22:20 PM
how do you stop adults from making such choices?

Yes, put quite simply, you can't.
A real tragedy for those close to this but thousands and thousands of people will choose to go into the sea, into lochs, into ponds, rivers every year and an unlucky or foolish few won't make it out again. Very sad but, unfortunately, inevitable.

Go To Front Page