News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Take the test

Started by waafisher, December 01, 2013, 05:21:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

waafisher

I post this note as a plea to what I think will mainly be an appropriate audience. Earlier this year I was diagnosed with bowel cancer. At the time I felt and looked fit and well and had absolutely no indications of any problems. Having just turned 54 I received my 3rd bowel cancer screening kit (in Scotland received every two years from the age of 50.). Whilst not the most pleasant test to do at home it is easy and as usual I completed and sent off the test confident all would be fine. With some surprise a week or two later I was asked to do a follow up as some blood had been detected. The second test had the same outcome which resulted in hospital visits and tests confirming I had a malignant tumour with some cancer spread to a couple of lymph nodes. To cut a long story short I had the tumour and nodes removed on 20th June and the follow up chemotherapy is now complete and I hope to return to work in December.
Being in and out of hospital speaking with a number of experts during the last six months I was horrified to learn that the return rate of these bowel cancer screening kits is just over 50%. My message is simple if you receive a screening kit  "Please take the test". Do not ignore or bucket it. If I had taken such action my outcome would certainly have been less positive. In my case and many others screening was the only way to detect the cancer as at that time as there were no obvious symptoms.
I have missed most of a fishing season apart from a week on Islay and Jura before my surgery but at least I have other seasons to look forward to which could so easily have not been the case.
http://www.bowelscreening.scot.nhs.uk/
waafisher

emc

Definitely second that. Down here we are only tested from age 60.

This time had one suspect + one clear - just waiting for the results of the third. It's a bit of a pain to do but nowhere near as much a pain as finding you've got cancer later if you don't do it.

Only the brain dead will ignore it.

Hope you're good to go for next season waafisher.

Wildfisher

Good idea  this screening program. Have been involved in it for a good few years myself, so far so good.  Hope you are fine now Brian.

Noddy

I have a friend who was not inclined to take the test.  Eventually convinced to do it by his wife, tests proved positive and he had surgery. He may not be living today otherwise.

Jim

Bobfly

The NHS would not be doing these screening programes if it wasn't for a very good reason. Preventative medicine and screening are said to be the best value for money. Hope all goes well Brian.
~  <°))))):><       ~   <°))))):><

superscot

A word to everyone if that test comes through the door bloody well do it ! Don't ignore it or bucket it  as waafisher says, I lost my life long mate to this near enough 5 years ago now, Never a day goes by with out a thought or two about him, So lads do the test.       

Billy

Good news that you are on the mend.

The first test kit I had through the door lay for a while but it was a combination of laziness and embarrassment before I actually did  it.

The second one I did right away no problem and I am expecting my third next year. 

It is definitely worth doing. Its a horrible illness and I know a few people who are going through treatment just now for various forms of it.

Billy

Go To Front Page