News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Petitions is there any point?

Started by Wildfisher, December 23, 2013, 12:07:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildfisher

They come up time and time again.   Objections  to fish farms, over exploitation  of salmon by netsmen – whatever, but is there really any point?  I read somewhere that a petition counts as a single representation regardless of how many signatures it bears, if that is true  then signing  them is pretty pointless.  It might not do any harm, true, but does it do any good?

Well done to those people who go to the trouble to raise a petition, they at least care and are  making some effort to do something, but is just signing a petition and doing nothing else really just a way for lazy anglers to kid themselves they are actually doing something and feel better about themselves?

I have seen myself the positive impact that motivated people can have by supporting and becoming directly involved in local environmental issues that affect fish and fishing. But that requires commitment and possibly  getting the wallet out.

If  a signature or an email address followed by a rosy glow is the limit of our commitment and involvement are we as culpable as those we are petitioning against? 

Bobfly

Petitions to support particular campaigns have a very good UK and international success profile and a history of making our "masters" pay attention to something that ordinary folks can themselves organise, and even the more readily nowadays. Every bit a useful a  tool as a demonstration and more people will support them. Any petition via the Downing Street website that gathers more than X signings will now automatically require a debate in Westminster.
~  <°))))):><       ~   <°))))):><

Highlander

I suppose if you get enough signatories & it is backed up by other means ie:  papers/ TV
you might get something looked at but other than than no. Possibly a waste of time but if you do not do it then others might not at least get to know the issues involved.
If something I feel strongly about  I will put my mark to paper.
Tight Lines
" The Future's Bright The Future's Wet Fly"

Nemo me impune lacessit

hopper

If the petition is sent off to say your local MP he only will answer to the main person who sent in the petition that saves him or her a lot of work, if you get answer at all. At Laurencekirk we are fighting for a fly over at a dangerous junction, we have all signed the petitions but we are also encouraged to send an e-mail, letter to the MP as they should answer that to the individual.

garryh

not on their own,but if they bring attention to a subject that may prove embarrassing to politicians then they are a start.

Garry
Education is important.
But fishing is importanter

bibio1

Total waste of time.

Other than a politician,tell me one job you can do with no education or training.

You get my drift? :lol:

Darwin

If the numbers are large and the voices loud enough, then they may make the money seem not worth the trouble.  Otherwise it is just a warm and fuzzy sort of thing.

Wildfisher

Quote from: bibio1 on December 24, 2013, 10:16:44 PM
Other than a politician,tell me one job you can do with no education or training.

Anything to do with fly fishing.

bibio1

Quote from: admin on December 25, 2013, 12:42:48 PM
Anything to do with fly fishing.

Don't tell apgia  or giac  ffs . I think!!!!!

Go To Front Page