News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Honour Sir Hugh

Started by Wildfisher, December 27, 2013, 06:02:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildfisher

This Tory MSP has got it right.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-25518850

If footballers or runners  why not Sir Hugh?  He has had a far greater cultural, recreational and indirect economic impact in Scotland than most of them

Buanán

I saw that earlier and thought Murdo had a point but that the point he was making, re the sporting hall of fame, was missed placed. Munro bagging, climbing, rambling, wild hill loch fishing ;) etc; ain't sport, there all pastimes or pursuits. I do however think old Shug should be further honoured, just not sure that the spot next to dixy deens is the right spot.

Inchlaggan

I'd agree. But frankly it is rather pointless when his "memorial" truly consists of the hundreds who will take advantage of the holiday break to "do" one of his hills this weekend.
Those Munros down this wee road are not particularly spectacular or accessible, but there is rarely a weekend when a few cars full of walkers pass by. A couple of dozen on a good day.
Checked my Munro diary of 29-37 years ago (yes, I am that sad), easily 200+ two and three day trips specifically devoted to Munros.
B&B, campsites, dinner and a good few beers in the local pub, petrol and so on, it all mounts up.
I'd be surprised if the economics do not rival that of grouse, salmon and deer murder.
'til a voice as bad as conscience,
rang interminable changes,
on an everlasting whisper,
day and night repeated so-
"Something hidden, go and find it,
Go and look beyond the ranges,
Something lost beyond the ranges,
Lost and waiting for you,
Go."

Wildfisher

It's all down to definition of sport I suppose. I don't consider  fishing to be a sport myself, but officially it is and I'm pretty sure officially mountaineering is too.

The impact of Sir Shug is impossible to over emphasis.  He is one of Scotland's greats.  Reading about the exploits of these people is astonishing. Feats of almost incomprehensible stamina and determination and all without today's must have  Gortex jackets, summit bid rucksacks, multi-layer top systems  or quick drying trousers with elasticated knees, padded arses and other such consumer driven bollocks.   :lol:

Wildfisher

Quote from: Inchlaggan on December 27, 2013, 06:22:11 PM
I'd be surprised if the economics do not rival that of grouse, salmon and deer murder.

It would be interesting to see figures but I suspect overall they will be greater than blood and field sports. This is a major driver of tourism and then there's all the gear to buy and replace. Go up any Munro any day - it's no longer just a weekend thing - and you will find people. Go on a river or loch and see how many trout fishers you find. Munro-ism like it or not is a big thing.

Inchlaggan

In similar vein-

http://news.uk.msn.com/uk/woolwich-passers-by-are-the-heroes-of-2013-say-msn-readers/

Though I suspect the New Year's Honours list may well be full of the usual suspects.
'til a voice as bad as conscience,
rang interminable changes,
on an everlasting whisper,
day and night repeated so-
"Something hidden, go and find it,
Go and look beyond the ranges,
Something lost beyond the ranges,
Lost and waiting for you,
Go."

Go To Front Page