News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Local shops closing

Started by Suki1312, January 14, 2014, 05:56:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fergie

My local shop shut a few years ago the owner made the point My customers buy their maggot's from me but their rods and reels from Glasgow angling centre. I just wasn't worth it to stay open . He kept another shop in Ayrshire open and sells online also now.

Yardbent

inevitable - but i hate to see it happening

Sainsburys  :red; built a mega-store in my market town against massive opposition from the people

Council petitions.?......they couldn't care less.!  pockets lined maybe.. :shock:

within 6 months the lass running a nice little florists had to close

Sainsburys was selling roses cheaper than she could buy them.!

Wildfisher

Quote from: claretbumble on January 15, 2014, 09:33:18 AM
Really Fred, that is a pun of the lowest order!

How dare you cast aspersions Liam!   :lol:

Lochan_load

Over in Greenock for work today, thought I'd pick up some hooks....

Another one bites the dust

Suki1312

Quote from: fergie on January 15, 2014, 08:25:29 AM
My local shop shut a few years ago the owner made the point My customers buy their maggot's from me but their rods and reels from Glasgow angling centre. I just wasn't worth it to stay open . He kept another shop in Ayrshire open and sells online also now.
Where abouts in Ayrshire Fergie , the shop i was mentioning in first post is torbets in Kilmarnock . Used to be two in town with macrirricks .but now both will be closed .The girl in shop is going to do it online from home .
Every day is a school day

Wildfisher

I heard that Angler's Choice in Dundee is also to close, that's not confirmed mind you.  I think we just have to accept that the day of the independent tackle shop  is over. A few who can offer something special will survive as do a few greengrocers and the like. I have to be brutally honest and say I won't really miss them. It is a shame but it's just the world in which we live. Times change. No one owes any shop a living. It  beats me how any survive at all,  even some of the bigger ones. For example, I have only been in  the Orvis shop in Banchory  half a dozen times, but was always the only customer in the place. How on earth do they manage to cover wages, business rates etc?  When I need anything tackle-wise now the first place I check is eBay. It's just so easy and convenient.

Highlander

QuoteWhere abouts in Ayrshire Fergie

Think the one in Glasgow he is talking about was Danny's Den (Shut) The owner traveled from Ayrshire & I believe he had another shop there sorry do not know name.

I did an article on "Boyhood Tackle Shops" a while back do not know if Fred published it.
A brief summary of ones that were in the Glasgow area but now gone.

WH Allan
Wm Robertson
CC Mann
Tausneys
James Kent ( Danny's Den)
Alex Martin
Hardy
Pitchers Sport
Alexanders
Cafaro Bros
Four or five more I would guess, names I forget but all gone now.
Only "traditional shop I recall now that is  left  is Anglers Rendezvous but I believe they have moved to Shettleston from their old shop in Parnie St. Tackle & Guns in Shawlands is still there but they are more recent, one in Johnstone & one other in Paisley & Renfrew. I'll bet they are struggling though. We just do not use them simple as that.
Basically it is GAC & I can see why, supermarket style seection & on line presence. Some of their staff were pretty poor in the early days but it has seemed to have got better over the last few years with some quite helpful people.
Tight Lines

PS I remember James Kent (sadly deceased) telling me that is main bugbear was that anglers came into to try on Barbour Jackets & the like but not buying, What they were doing was trying for size & then going elsewhere finding the cheapest & this was in the internet early days so what chance has the small man today?
" The Future's Bright The Future's Wet Fly"

Nemo me impune lacessit

Wildfisher

silverbutcher

Quote from: Suki1312 on January 15, 2014, 03:10:03 PM
Where abouts in Ayrshire Fergie , the shop i was mentioning in first post is torbets in Kilmarnock . Used to be two in town with macrirricks .but now both will be closed .The girl in shop is going to do it online from home .

Wow, sad to hear that. This is my local tackle shop. I try to pop in anytime I'm in town and always buy a little something. I also buy my walking boots from here. When the old lady died a couple of years ago i thought this would happen, as she was always on the counter with a smile and a chat, and although the girl and her father are nice and pleasant, I think the heart and soul of the place passed away with her.

All the best

Billy

fergie

Quote from: Highlander on January 15, 2014, 04:00:35 PM
Think the one in Glasgow he is talking about was Danny's Den (Shut) The owner traveled from Ayrshire & I believe he had another shop there sorry do not know name.

I did an article on "Boyhood Tackle Shops" a while back do not know if Fred published it.
A brief summary of ones that were in the Glasgow area but now gone.

WH Allan
Wm Robertson
CC Mann
Tausneys
James Kent ( Danny's Den)
Alex Martin
Hardy
Pitchers Sport
Alexanders
Cafaro Bros
Four or five more I would guess, names I forget but all gone now.
Only "traditional shop I recall now that is  left  is Anglers Rendezvous but I believe they have moved to Shettleston from their old shop in Parnie St. Tackle & Guns in Shawlands is still there but they are more recent, one in Johnstone & one other in Paisley & Renfrew. I'll bet they are struggling though. We just do not use them simple as that.
Basically it is GCA & I can see why, supermarket style seection & on line presence. Some of their staff were pretty poor in the early days but it has seemed to have got better over the last few years with some quite helpful people.
Tight Lines

PS I remember James Kent (sadly deceased) telling me that is main bugbear was that anglers came into to try on Barbour Jackets & the like but not buying, What they were doing was trying for size & then going elsewhere finding the cheapest & this was in the internet early days so what chance has the small man today?

That's the guy i have no idea what his other shop was called.

Go To Front Page