News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Phone Advice Needed

Started by JIMCCS, January 24, 2014, 08:38:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JIMCCS

I need a decent new phone that`s got access to the web, big enough to see what`s on the screen, a good enough camera etc. and the best deal from the provider. Any thoughts lads?

Hill loch gold

I've got an iphone 5 and it does all of the above. Not sure what the monthly payments are on them though, as mine isn't a contract phone.

Suki1312

Go for the Samsung s3 or s4 massive screen and great deals with 3 just now
Every day is a school day

oystercatcher

Have a Samsung G3 LTE Orange contract  £21 Month  :8)

Suki1312

Agree with Alan Tesco or 3 cheapest by miles
Every day is a school day

Otter Spotter

Quote from: Barfly on January 24, 2014, 09:22:53 PM
The fitter at work recommended a Samsung...."Note"...is it?

I've got the Samsun Galaxy 'Note 2', its something in between a phone and a tablet if you dont mind a big phone its great, but it is big! I'm on 3 mobile and never had any issues. I can get the internet from the river at yours so coverage shouldnt be a problem. if you have a flat spot in the house for reception 3 will give you a booster.
I have been with 3 for many years and find them pretty damn good. The main problem is if you have a problem, their call centres arent great, so I have taken to dealing direct with the 3 shop and it makes life a lot easier.

I used to be a surrealist but now I'm just fish.

Stonepark

I Have a Sony Xperia Z - this (and a few others from the Sony block) as well as other manufacturers now coming online are now waterproof......... makes it ideal for fishing/shooting etc.

If it is an Android you go for, make sure it has at least 2GB ram (working memory) and 16gb storage, so that it can handle any upgrades and masses of film and pictures of your fishing adventures.
"Just My Tuppenceworth!"

SteveF

Hi,
Consider what computer you have at home. Mac or PC as getting something to match can make life so much easier if you want to transfer things from one to the other. I am all Mac but not wanting to spend the money required for an iPhone I got a Windows phone. Great phone but an absolute pain at transferring. If I wanted to copy a photo from my phone to my iPad, I had to use special software to transfer it to my laptop and then transfer it again to my iPad. In the end I took the hit and got an iPhone 5S and it just does it seamlessly in the background.

Also what do you use for email? Windows, Mac and Android phones don't all work with each others desktop mail systems.

The newer smartphones are incredible bits of kit now. I don't bother with a separate camera, satnav or torch any more. Video is also excellent . I wouldn't use the GPS, altimeter or compass in the wilds but its fine for general stuff.

If you head out to the wilds in Scotland check network coverage. I'm in the Cairngorms and O2 (Tesco also use the O2 network) is the only one that works indoors  and even then not very well, outdoors often no signal at all. And that's the best of the bunch.

Speaking with various guests the feedback is O2 or Vodafone is best, Orange a bit iffy, the  rest even worse to non existent. Of course I could go 20 miles down the road and it be a different story. Most companies quote 99% coverage, most of the 1% remaining seems to be the more remote bits of Scotland.

Go to sites like trustedreviews.com, pocketlint.com and read their reviews then shop around. I got my iPhone from Carphone Warehouse running O2 for £5 a month less than O2 shops were doing it. Thats £120 on a 2 years contract.

scobo

I'm using a Samsung S3 just now. Good sized screen and the camera is good too.
No problems with the O2 networking.
Scott

"Fly fishing is my prozac"

Go To Front Page