News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Crank-induced trout hiatus

Started by Midgie Hater, May 15, 2014, 02:26:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sinbad

Better check your dates , 2006 link  (Highlander) :D
http://www.wilsonsauctions.com/view-auction/Dalry

Midgie Hater

Yes, it's a wee bit far to Ayrshire. Hang on, I could cycle....oh, wait...  :roll:

Alan, the crank diag. is useful. Thanks.Although I think it's a square spline/ I haven't decided yet whether the bottom bracket is part of the problem or not. I hope not as, depending on whether it's a sealed unit or not (I don't know) it may not be worth the cost of replacing. Some are more pricey than others as you obviously realise. Could be an issue with the bearings. As I haven't done a full diagnostic on it, it could simply be a case of tightening the bolt. Sadly, on a previous occasion when this happened with my old bike, it continually loosened off, and of course that then leads to more wear over time. It was discovered that the thread for the bottom bracket was knackered too and the cost of getting it all done (new bottom bracket and new cranks) was more than the second-hand value of that bike.

I'll maybe find someone with a torque wrench and the appropriate size of socket, or take it to my local bike repair shop where they'll do it for me since I don't have that tool. My last experience of him was not good though.

Midgie Hater

Yeah, I don't have the tool above sadly. That would make things easier. Yep that's a sealed unit bottom bracket right there. Not sure which I have as i've never dismantled it to find out. I strongly suspect it's either a loose crank bolt, worn crank or (quite common) both. I'll maybe get a loan of a torque wrench and sockets and try the bolt-tightening first. If it starts to come loose quickly then I guess it may be the crank itself. Don't think there's play in the bracket. I'll check. Thanks Alan :)

Yes, spindle, not spline. Wrong term used by me there.

Oh and it's a Viking Vantage hyrbid thing - hence "Thor"  :oops:

Midgie Hater

There's a crank bolt but no slot for an allen key which would be easy enough to do as you say.  Yes that's right, the spindle tapers. I did tap it back on with a hammer but the real issue (I think) is that it's impossible to tighten the crank bolt enough without the appropriate tool since the bolt is recessed into the crank. Can't even get at it with a pair of grippers as there isn't enough clearance between the bolt and the body of the crank. This is why the tool you showed above would be handy if I had one since it goes over the bolt and allows you to tighten it without the need for a socket and torque wrench - which I don't have either!  :lol: As I say, I'm hoping I can blag use of a torque wrench from someone. Ta

Midgie Hater

Great! I thought I was going mad(der  :lol: )!

I thought that you needed to use a torque wrench with the correct-sized socket to tighten it enough though? Easiest (and cheapest) thing, assuming I can find one of the correct size for the bolt, is to get one of those crank extractor tools as they usually have a bolt tightening/loosening tool. Some even come with a wrench so you don't need to use a separate adjustable wrench or pair of grippers.

As to whether it's just a case of tightening the bolt and the problem's solved though: I took the crank arm right off to see if there was any wear inside. As you probably know this can easily occur if the bolt's been loosening over time and there's been a little play between it and the spindle because of the respective differences in metal hardness. As far as I can tell it's ok, so once I tighten it, all should be well - until the next time  :lol:

Midgie Hater

...actually on reflection you're probably right about the torque wrench although I've heard many bike manufacturers expect you to use one for such jobs or you invalidate the warranty - not that this is an issue with Thor seen as he's several thousand years old ;)  I suppose I could get the Tesco cheap-as-chips socket set that comes with a ratchet. £6.50. Mind you I've heard horror stories about cheap sets being wildly out of spec. in terms of socket diameters. Can't do a try-before-you-buy as it has to be ordered in and picked up from the store. Hmmm...

Midgie Hater

Tried the long-nosed pliers - not enough, well, torque!  :lol: Plus they keep slipping and trying to give me stigmata! I'm not using loctite because if you do that it's a one-time-only fix and if it goes wrong after that this spells trouble in my experience. Actually, that may be the "fix" in relation to a worn crank arm (i.e where it attaches to the spindle) rather than the bolt itself but I suspect the result would be the same.

Actually, none of the neighbours I know and speak to have a socket set! I know this may be hard to believe, but it's true because I asked last time I was having similar (but ultimately worse) trouble with my old Carrera.

Anyway, I'm biting the bullet and just about to order a cheap-ish Draper socket set from Asda - for better or worse. Thanks for your help Alan. If I die I shall blame you  :lol:

Midgie Hater

...or rather, if I die as a result of my crank arm falling off mid-cycle and skewering my ankle I'll blame you. Blaming you in the event I die for any reason at all would be a bit harsh given it's going to happen at some point  :lol:

Midgie Hater

Quote from: Alan on May 17, 2014, 06:50:23 PM
You won't be able to if you die :lol:

There is that I suppose. I could put specific retribution instructions in my will for my antecedents though ;)

Quote from: Alan on May 17, 2014, 06:50:23 PM
...a manly crack

Isn't that a contradiction in terms?  :lol:

Midgie Hater

Quote from: Alan on May 17, 2014, 07:18:10 PM
Probably, but I have seen a few that would make you wonder :lol:

I just knew you'd have a come-back  :lol: (and as I've said before, I reckon we must have met some of the same women  :pat )

Go To Front Page