News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Trashy Trossachs

Started by Wildfisher, May 21, 2014, 03:47:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildfisher

From The autumn Road To The Isles by B.B. Published 1959.

Beautiful as this country of Rob Roy may be, better known perhaps as the Trossachs, it was a different world to that which we had so regretfully left behind us. Even at that late season of November there were signs of the multitudes of picnickers and campers who had swarmed along the loch side in summer, leaving their filth, like hideous permanent droppings, on bank and shore. In the shallow waters of Vennacher, out from our little beach, empty tins gleamed, tossed there by litter louts. In this country we need the strict laws enforced by the Swiss. No paltry fine will stop this nuisance which becomes worse each year. As a nation we are dirty and untidy, and must disgust visitors from Northern Europe. I can honestly say that at each of our camping places, when we left, no trace of our sojourn remained.

It's a  poor reflection  on Scotland and the Scots that nothing has changed, some might argue it's worse now. Is there any solution to this?

Inchlaggan

Interesting that he mentions the Swiss as exemplars, it seems that they now have their problems.
http://www.swissinfo.ch/eng/swiss_news/Switzerland_comes_clean_on_its_obsession_.html?cid=33472792

Note the use of "asylum seekers" to clean up, not even UKIP would try that one here!
'til a voice as bad as conscience,
rang interminable changes,
on an everlasting whisper,
day and night repeated so-
"Something hidden, go and find it,
Go and look beyond the ranges,
Something lost beyond the ranges,
Lost and waiting for you,
Go."

superscot

Fred can only be resolved by education, as youngsters they have to be taught from an early age not to litter, simply take it home with you.

I personally think it's worse now, and comes back to that question how the youngsters of  today behave, How many times I have went down the main hill from our village to find the remains of someone's  McDonalds strewn across the road, after making sure it was not left inside their own car.

Do they not have the savvy to take it home! And bin it.

I was in a local retail park and watched a young couple open the electric window and simply toss  it onto the car park a bin 20 feet away from them, I picked it up and chapped the window and said how would u like me to toss this back in your car, Reply oh sorry mate never thought about that .

It's just one of those subjects that won't go away.

Dinny get me started on those yins who dinny take the shopping trolley back to the trolley bay! Now that does fecken boil me.  :crap :crap :crap

Midgie Hater

Highlander

Some people simply do not deserve a nice country. Until such times that laws are enforced & perpetrators punished accordingly then it is not going to get any better.

One of my my pet hates

Few years ago a chap I went fishing with on occasion found a bin bag of rubbish dumped in a local lay bye he parked at whilst fishing. He took it home & went through it. In among the usual  debris were some torn up addressed letters. That night late on the bin bag & contents were deposited in their front garden.

Tight Lines
" The Future's Bright The Future's Wet Fly"

Nemo me impune lacessit

superscot

QuoteFew years ago a chap I went fishing with on occasion found a bin bag of rubbish dumped in a local lay bye he parked at whilst fishing. He took it home & went through it. In among the usual  debris were some torn up addressed letters. That night late on the bin bag & contents were deposited in their front garden.

Now that i do like !   

Clan Chief

Its not just littering. The back roads in and around where I work as wee call them suffer from fly tipping anywhere where there is an inshot on the road. this is bad enough however I have been called out by the police to put out signs andcone off sections of road and organize a truck to clear building rubble, garden waste, ripped out kitchens and bathrooms and the like from the middle of the road. Obviiously from a pick up truck which just hoist the body of the truck and dump it on the road.
Another circumstance which happens from time to time is tyres dumped from trucks and placed at intervals of about ten yards along some backroads maybe as long as a couple of miles. My take on that is that someone stands on the back of a pick up and throws them off as they drive along.
Slightly off topic here. Just yesterday I got a call from the manager to pick up three dead animals from the A73 between Riggend and the Auchenkilns interchange. Now this was very strange! It was a deer, a fox and would you believe an otter?. This was very suspicious as they were  in an area of the road no longer than 50 yards
Here is a pic of the otter.

loch coulter

I think education starting at a young age and more policing with large fines would be a start.

tommy.

Go To Front Page