News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Beavering about..

Started by Sandison, May 15, 2014, 10:26:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Midgie Hater

Based on the above comments, we must restore balance to The Force (sorry, watching Star Wars).

Like Bruce and Burnie, I think that when it comes to re-introduction of species it's bound to cause problems because of course the niche that species once occupied has been allowed for, if not filled, over time and other species have adapted and habitats altered in it's absence. However, I find it paradoxical that some of the same people who decry such introductions are more-than-happy to see landscapes "managed" in a way which favours certain other species for so-called "sporting" purposes, to the detriment of so-called nature.

For the record though I loathe the word nature because it is inevitably used in a way which encourages people to think of "us" and "nature" as separate entities when really, however unlikely it may appear and however unpalatable a thought to some, humans are also "nature". However,  if you want to get philosophical about it, and you accept that argument, then every aspect of human endeavour and its resultant detritus is, ispo-facto, also "nature". This of course can be used to contradict my first point because the managing of landscapes for whatever reason is a human cause and effect. Then again, the danger there is that this could ultimately be used to justify practically anything, including (to take it to it's furthest extremes) genocide! Uh oh, I feel a Godwin's Law moment coming on!  :shock:

Allan Crawford

Quote from: Alan on May 17, 2014, 08:13:50 PM
Which one? i'd say both :lol:

Not that I condon cruelty to animals and love to see the wildlife around where I live and indeed one the reasons I chose to live there but sending foxes, crows & magpies to the vet sounds stupid IMO.

Allan Crawford

Quote from: Midgie Hater on May 17, 2014, 08:59:27 PM
Based on the above comments, we must restore balance to The Force (sorry, watching Star Wars).

Like Bruce and Burnie, I think that when it comes to re-introduction of species it's bound to cause problems because of course the niche that species once occupied has been allowed for, if not filled, over time and other species have adapted and habitats altered in it's absence. However, I find it paradoxical that some of the same people who decry such introductions are more-than-happy to see landscapes "managed" in a way which favours certain other species for so-called "sporting" purposes, to the detriment of so-called nature.

For the record though I loathe the word nature because it is inevitably used in a way which encourages people to think of "us" and "nature" as separate entities when really, however unlikely it may appear and unpalatable a thought to some, humans are also "nature". However,  if you want to get philosophical about it, and you accept that argument then every aspect of human endeavour and its resultant detritus is, ispo-facto, also "nature". This of course can be used to contradict my first point because the managing of landscapes for whatever reason is a human cause and effect. Then again, the danger there is that this could ultimately be used to justify practically anything, including (to take it to it's furthest extremes) genocide! Uh oh, I feel a Godwin's Law moment coming on!  :shock:

Ever had any thoughts about going into Politics ?  :D

Wildfisher

Whether beaver reintroduction is a good or bad thing  I think most would agree that the people who are doing it illegally  while there is a research program  underway and not really doing beavers or the case for them much good. The SG has to take some flack for this too as it could be argued that in refusing to deal with the illegal introductions in the Tay catchment, as they did last year,  they are giving encouragement to those who are doing this. At the very least it's making a bit of a mockery of the controlled trials.

Suki1312

You should try Kilmarnock town centre on a Saturday night , tons of  wild beaver running the streets :D
Every day is a school day

Allan Crawford

Quote from: Suki1312 on May 17, 2014, 10:48:36 PM
You should try Kilmarnock town centre on a Saturday night , tons of  wild beaver running the streets :D

:lol:

But good question were did they get these beavers from (apart from Kilmarnock) ?

Wildfisher

Quote from: Alan on May 17, 2014, 10:44:43 PM
Cant believe you got a Salmon bash into that one :lol:

Who on earth is introducing beavers illegally? where do they get them?

They have been introduced illegally into  the Tay catchment and are spreading. Last year the responsible SG  minster was on BBC News and said no action was to be taken at the current time to deal with the illegal introductions. I'm neither for or against this, but I do find it a bit odd that this is being ignored while at the same time a controlled trial is underway in another part of the country.  Perhaps the minster was worried about the dead small furry animal effect.

burnie

Baby beavers get carried about ducks feet or was it Pikes tails.

Wildfisher

I'm told - by reliable sources - that the jumps they have made in recent years would have been impossible without human agency. But, yes,  it does appear once they are there they breed and spread like rats. Because they are illegal introductions and considered non native,  landowners and farmers etc are at liberty to shoot or trap them as they wish. The SG is taking  big risk here, if houses and property  are flooded and this can be attributed even in part to beavers blocking water courses they will be wishing they had organized a cull of the illegal introductions.

sinbad

Quote from: admin on May 17, 2014, 10:57:19 PM
They have been introduced illegally into  the Tay catchment and are spreading. Last year the responsible SG  minster was on BBC News and said no action was to be taken at the current time to deal with the illegal introductions. I'm neither for or against this, but I do find it a bit odd that this is being ignored while at the same time a controlled trial is underway in another part of the country.  Perhaps the minster was worried about the dead small furry animal effect.
The badger cull worked well for the minister ;)

Go To Front Page