News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Beavering about..

Started by Sandison, May 15, 2014, 10:26:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildfisher

Quote from: sinbad on May 18, 2014, 09:41:26 PM
I had no idea when i asked to join this fishy forum what extra entertaining nuggets i was to get treated to ! Sb.

You aint seen nuthin yet. We can discuss anything here without falling out.  On most other forums even disagreements over fly choice can lead to near anarchy.   :lol:

Sandison

Sunday Times today - yes, I know that I should get out more - tells readers that the John Muir Trust is advocating the reintroduction of wolves. Apart from the odd unsuspecting angler and surprised deer, maybe they (wolves) might fancy a nice bit of back of beaver as well for tea? Problem solved?
Bruce Sandison

Wildfisher

Would  the introduced wolves not fight with the resident panthers? 

Midgie Hater

JMT can advocate all they like. It isn't going to happen.

Midgie Hater

There is that I suppose. A furry domino effect isn't impossible, but while arguments about them restoring the predator-prey balance are all well and good, and could perhaps be a "natural" control for deer numbers as well as a potential attraction for some, wolves are very mobile. When conditions suit they procreate very extensively, seek their own territories and pack hierarchies, and are going to bring more than mere dam-building with them when they do! Landowners may decry the wetland-creating effects of beavers, but they'll decry even more the livestock, working dog and small children devouring capabilities of old Lupus!

Midgie Hater

Stop it, you're scaring me!  :lol: 

But yes, there's always the possibility that reason will be trumped by subjectively "good ideas". There are numerous examples after all  :roll:

Allan Crawford

Sounds like the wild boar might be doing fine for them selves (great something else to drive into), Can the beavers chop down the windmills and wolves chase away the workers who come to put them back up   :D

Midgie Hater

:lol: You've either provided a sound case for both species to be perpetuated or a good reason for the SG to to shoot all the beavers and veto the wolves

Allan Crawford

The I want to go and live in a hut in the Alaska back country part of me would love to see these animals running around Scotland again and me with them, catch a few trout along the way and never have to work another day in this job  :D
But as that isn't going to happen the sensible boring bit of me can't see the day when wolves will again run wild in Scotland, maybe in a larger trial introduction bigger enclosure and like the boar and beaver should they ever escape as soon as they start becoming a nuisance they will be shot and culled just like the deer  :(
Perhaps a new job opportunity and as Alan says boar does taste good along with vension, I'm up for some beaver though don't think I could eat wolf and look at Caley in the eye  :? 

Wildfisher

Not even the current  S.G. is idiotic enough to allow wolves to run free in Scotland. It's a good newspaper story for a slow Sunday, but that's all it is. It's not going to happen.

Go To Front Page