News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Self Catering

Started by superscot, May 30, 2014, 02:40:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

superscot

Having been lumped with finding a 1/2 bed roomed self catering accommodation in Scotland for 14 nights for friends visiting , will say i have certainly had my eyes opened up at the prices people are willing to pay per week for accommodation.

I now realize why we Scots nip over abroad at summer time. Unreal some of the prices people are being asked to pay.

Have manage to narrow it down to a half dozen in the Inverness area and all look OK on the web sites, So will pass on the info to them let them decide.

What i did find was this place at Pitlochry  which will be passed on !..................http://www.selfcatering-in-scotland.co.uk/

When u go deeper into the booking is this taking the piss !!!

Early check in late check out ...lets have a £100 pounds of you ! next

Its cauld so will sell yi a peat bale at £7.50 ...now would that be per day ...if yi wanted yer log burner in action ! Next

Ok yi enjoy the hot tub but fancy a wee extra towel to dry yerself off ....fine hand over a tenner !

Logs to put on yer burner at another tenner ...

[attachimg=1]

[attachimg=2]

burnie

I think you can do Florida for the same sort of money as that, Disney would be extra though, you'd get a pool complete with free Aligator too.

Bobfly

Kinnaird is wholly at the luxury spa end of the self-catering but it just shows why the Scottish tourist industry has been in decline for many years due to poor value for money compared to the same money spent going overseas.

That said we are off in a while to Skye in a house for nine and a while after that to Ardnamurchan with a group of eight. Heck of a lot cheaper per person getting a big house split lots of ways. Best deal was a luxurious shooting lodge with 11 of us sharing the place.
~  <°))))):><       ~   <°))))):><

superscot

Bob something we always wanted to do but getting the right group together at the right time was always the problem. Fine if you can get people to commit and pay up front.

Still say we get over charged here in Scotland for a really poor service at times and we tend not to moan about and just accept it.

To charge over £1000 for a week then ask you for another tenner for two towels  is just not on with me, if it came to it  they would be going home in the case. And still hunting something down yet  :lol:   

Glenogle

The towel thing is a bit misleading.
The place comes with enough bath robes and towels for each person booked.
It is only for additional towels you need to pay, but surely for most people 1 is enough?

corsican dave

it's nice they don't charge you for parking tho', eh?
If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're probably doing something wrong - John Gierach

superscot

QuoteIt is only for additional towels you need to pay, but surely for most people 1 is enough?

For that price i would be expect clean towels daily

Wildfisher

A good friend of mine who was with us at Strontian last week  has decided to spend a large sum on a new camper van. It has been ordered. He and his wife go away a lot and reckon it will be worth it especially considering the  flexibility it will provide.  I must admit I find the idea quite attractive myself. With the  dreadful weather, the midges, the cost etc going anywhere in Scotland for a fishing or walking break can be a real pain.

Bobfly

Fred,
How did you do at Strontian ??  We are at Acharacle next week - self catering but with nine sharing a bigger house to make it low cost per person. Last week on Skye at £83.30 each times nine persons giving a £750 per week charge for a big house there. The group we go with have a scattering of camper vans in use as well, mostly self builds on Transits or whatever. We have swithered about this for years but think that self-catering for three weeks a year can be done for less than the likely depreciation on a campervan for a year and you do not have a van load of wet gear and float tubes and all that stuff - and so we end up with inertia winning and back with a car plus tents plus self-catering either cheapo or large and shared.
~  <°))))):><       ~   <°))))):><

superscot

We looked into renting one with the thought of doing a spot of touring in France till you price them. For something descent your hitting just under £1000 per week then food and most important for us is the fuel costs, turns out a very expensive holiday for two weeks. Still like the freedom to stop off where you wish I would enjoy. When you look at some of the new vans on the go they are stunning inside but at a price. Still nice if you can get one       

Go To Front Page