News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

So what happened to summer?

Started by Wildfisher, August 16, 2014, 09:10:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildfisher

A month ago the weather experts were telling us August would be a roaster. Aye right!  :roll:

So far temperatures have been below "normal" (whatever that is) and it will be cold again next week.  I was out fishing yesterday, morning and evening and it was fleece or freeze.

So what happened?  Global warming again?

Bobfly

You might recollect that a few months back the UK Met Office quietly issued a confirmation that it would no longer be giving any "medium term" forecasts ie. looking ahead one to three months, since they had such a dire record for these rather short timescale projections.
Of course that does not prevent them from telling us what they say the climate will be in fifty or one hundred years so that they can keep pulling in the Global Warming, oops, I mean "Climate Change" money.
~  <°))))):><       ~   <°))))):><

Wildfisher

Quote from: Bobfly on August 16, 2014, 11:44:53 AM
Of course that does not prevent them from telling us what they say the climate will be in fifty or one hundred years so that they can keep pulling in the Global Warming, oops, I mean "Climate Change" money.

"Climate Disruption"  is the now the vague term of choice, but I call it Fishing Disruption. I was out this morning on the local river and had a few fish on the nymph before the gale disrupted things.   :lol:

Buanán

The weather is still backwards at the moment, so the east is experiencing a little of what I'd call normal weather for the beginning of Autumn. It's crap over here too if thats any consolation.

Wildfisher

Yes, the jet stream is playing funny buggers again. It's where you might expect it to be in autumn. This is why I never go to places like Iceland to fish. This is normal summer weather there.  I don't care how good the fishing can be, sod that!  :lol:

Wildfisher

Yeah, but anyone can catch fish on lochs.................    :lol:

Last weekend's spate certainly cleaned all the crap out of the local river beds, now all we need is the wind to drop below gale force so we can get a cast.   :D

andy m

a few lochs such as loch leven starting to fish well now,as the water temps have dropped a bit and the fish have been more active cheers andy m

Wildfisher

Quote from: Roobarb on August 16, 2014, 10:40:43 PM
It is shite weather though, got the day off tomorrow and it is going to pee down and blow 50mph :(

It is indeed shite and there is more to life than just fishing, a bit of warmth and a bit less wind would not go amiss. That said the summer was OK until the end of July, but  our rivers were in a pitiful state. Now  I can hardly recall them looking better in August. All the weed / algae is gone, the water is cool, the levels are perfect and the fish in splendid condition. If we get a slightly warmer spell the fishing could be really good. As far as loch fishing goes I'm not  really bothered about that, I have pretty much lost interest in it,  for now anyway. Gone back to my roots, trouting on rivers. The variety and overall challenge can't be beaten in my book!  Got to get into training for New Zealand anyway.   :8)

east wind

I'll take these lower temperatures. This, along with the fresh water has wakened the river up a little, and I even got some day fishing in (if I looked hard enough) with trout up to a pound and half.

It's that feckin' wind that's the killer, and made things uncomfortably more difficult than they should have been.
Listen son, said the man with the gun
There's room for you inside.

Bobfly

I was down in the steep valley sided jungle - nay wind down there. Had a good fish on too ....... for all of five very exciting seconds !!    Bugger !!!!!!
Rowan berries well reddened and birch already dropping leaves.
~  <°))))):><       ~   <°))))):><

Go To Front Page