News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

A GOOD DRAM AND A GOOD BOOK

Started by andy m, October 05, 2014, 03:27:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

andy m

WAS WONDERING WHAT SOME OF OR WHISKEY LOVERS AND READERS WOULD SHARE AS A WINTERS NIGHT STUCK IN THE HOOSE ,MY WHISKEY IS A LAGAVULIN 16 YEAR OLD BOOKS THAT I HAVE ENJOYED IN PURSUIT OF STILL WATER TROUT BY BRIAN CLARKE ,BRUCE SANDISON RIVERS AND LOCHS COULD ALMOST READ IT IN DAYS ONE AREA THEN THE NEXT ,I HAVE HEARD FISHING A HIGHLAND STREAM  IS A GOOD WEE BOOK. LIKE TO KNOW LADS AND LASSIES WHATS YER DRAM AND GOOD ANGLING BOOK THANKS ANDY M

corsican dave

no dram for me thanks, Andy (i'm more of a real ale man), but if you like Brian Clarke's writing then try "On Fishing" which is a collection of articles & essays. you can get it off amazon for a couple of quid as a paperback and at over 400 pages you might need another bottle of malt!

a couple of (dare I say it) slightly more adventurous options: "Somewhere Else", by Charles Rangeley-Wilson or a little-known gem by Seth Norman, "Meanderings of a Fly-Fisherman". a couple of bottles of Williams Bros. Midnight Sun are also warmly recommended! :cheers;
If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're probably doing something wrong - John Gierach

andy m

CHEERS DAVE LIKE MY ALES AS WELL, A GOOD BEER AND A BOOK IS ANOTHER OPTION TO PAL THANKS ANDY M

superscot

For me any of the Speyside malts go down well with my pallet the older the better, As for the heartburn inducing Islay malts for me its one only and goes by the name of Caol Ila 12-Year-Old Islay Single Malt Whisky or older if you can afford. As for books and not strictly fishing.
Isolation Shepard by Iain R Thomson
Rivers  & Lochs of Scotland Bruce
Highland Hermit By James Carron   

All a good read

Wildfisher

andy m

thanks superscot those books that you recomended got bruces one but the sound good reading thank you andy m

andy m

just reviewed the highland hermit book superscot, i think that its a must read book. all that you say that its not a fishing book makes me think when fishing remote fishing places it makes me wonder how do the folks get by. i think this book may explain how life must be during the winters isolation ect thanks amdy m

superscot

Andy Isolation Shepard is also excellent, if they are  for a Kindle why not just download them both   :)

Otter Spotter

I quit drinking some time ago, it's driven me to read :-)

Nassim Nicholas taleb: (In sequential order)
Fooled by Randomness
The Black Swan
Anti-fragile

These will wrap your head in knots till March!
I used to be a surrealist but now I'm just fish.

ColinM

A bit of John Gierach and a Talisker for me.

Go To Front Page