News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Scottish Kayak Fishing Festival

Started by corsican dave, December 01, 2014, 01:37:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

corsican dave

a bit of flagrant advertising here, so feel free to remove the thread if it offends in any way.

The 2015 Scottish Kayak Fishing Festival:

what is it? briefly, we're not even sure ourselves yet! "we" are myself and Pete Hill (Assoc. of Mountaineering Instructors founder) and we've hatched a plan to organise & host a kayak fishing fest up here in the highlands. no-one has done this here before, although there are a number of events south of the border.

I can't tell you any details at present, but what I can tell you is that the event will be squarely aimed at the leisure angler, maybe even the newbie, who fancies meeting like-minded folk over a couple of days in late summer next year. you can also be assured that our event will undoubtedly have a disproportionately large number of some of the most highly qualified outdoors instructors in the uk (not folks who get lost going out for an evening run.... :roll:), including the internationally acclaimed paddling guru George Reid, all of whom will be there to share their experiences and offer assistance as required.

I think quite a few folk on the forum might find this of interest, but i'd also welcome your input as to what you'd expect from such an event?

so please: let me know your thoughts & ideas  :8)
If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're probably doing something wrong - John Gierach

Bobfly

Good proposal that and I hope it does well. Would you be able to do marine and freshwater ??
~  <°))))):><       ~   <°))))):><

corsican dave

just freshwater this year Vaughan. much easier to manage from a safety point of view and also keeping the event fairly centralised to minimise transport/accommodation issues.
If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're probably doing something wrong - John Gierach

JimJams

Can i get my blue peter on with a few old boxes and make my floattube look like a yak and join in on you're day?  :crap

Lochan_load

Sounds interesting Dave, I have no kayak will there be a chance to try ones out?

Wildfisher

Sounds like a good event for Lochindorb Dave.  :8)

Part-time

Sounds good Dave - my daughters and I would certainly be up for it (guess whats appeared on this years santa lists :shock: :D)

Only thing I can think of - and you've probably already thought about - is working with existing clubs etc already involved in kayak training so you've got a good number of people into kayaking who might be into broadening their horizons into fishing. As to venue, Lochindorb would be good but perhaps lacking facilities/parking and assuming of course the owners would be up for it.

Just away to post and I see Fred beat me to it with Lochindorb :)

corsican dave

Quote from: Lochan_load on December 01, 2014, 08:18:21 PM
Sounds interesting Dave, I have no kayak will there be a chance to try ones out?
we'll be working on that one with suppliers. thanks for bringing it up tho'; that was what the thread's all about  :D

Quote from: admin on December 01, 2014, 08:41:21 PM
Sounds like a good event for Lochindorb Dave.  :8)

yes, and no! not very sheltered and somewhere closer to an event centre would be better. plus we'd be a bit limited as regards both variety of species and methods

Quote from: Part-time on December 01, 2014, 08:51:15 PM
Only thing I can think of - and you've probably already thought about - is working with existing clubs etc already involved in kayak training so you've got a good number of people into kayaking who might be into broadening their horizons into fishing.
with the folks we've got involved, that's pretty much a given John; but with you absolutely on that one!

all great input so far folks! keep 'em coming and i'll keep you posted :D :8)

shad

Good idea Dave, will try to get up for a look even though I dont have a kayak any more .

How about a kayak jousting match? Just need some jousting sticks and those padded pfds will take a good chest impact!

corsican dave

Quote from: shad on December 06, 2014, 11:10:34 AM
Good idea Dave, will try to get up for a look even though I dont have a kayak any more .

How about a kayak jousting match? Just need some jousting sticks and those padded pfds will take a good chest impact!
would be a hoot, Colin! :lol: i'm also thinking about "rolling a SOT", either as a workshop or as a comp.

i'd love to make it fly only, but I think we need to attract as many people as possible, first off. no elitism: we will welcome ordinary kayaks, open canoes and stand-up  paddleboards. we'll have a very good accompanying programme too with some amazing participation events/adventures, films and very likely some cracking live music. we're far more interested in attracting the "normal joe" kind of angler who fancies finding out what it's all about and having a go than the guys with all the latest hi-tech toys and boats festooned with umpteen rods. altho' they'll be welcome too, of course !  :8)

Go To Front Page