News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

help! lines for a sage tcx

Started by corsican dave, April 12, 2015, 09:20:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

corsican dave

I took my sage tcx #6 out for a test drive with a few lines today
1) rio carp floating #6; felt far too light and the control wasn't there. didn't appear to load the rod and 'faded' at the end of the cast. I finally gave this so much welly the welded loop at the tip broke. never had this happen before!
head length 40', 168 grains @30'. quite a long belly on this at 28'

2) wulff tt floating #6; much better. verging on awesome. went out like greased weasel poo, despite having been trashed on the gravels of Extremadura...
profile: not a Scooby. can't find any profile info anywhere

3) Shakespeare glider efs #6: somewhat predictably for a fast sinker, went out like a rocket. but they all do....

4) Cortland precision 15' ghost tip #8 ( :shock:); just for the badness of it, but took it easy. felt too heavy for the rod and definitely overloaded, but flew out with only a couple of rod lengths beyond the tip.

so, a couple of questions:
1) what would be your suggestions for a line that will load this rod but still give delicate presentation (thinking of carp/barbel with small terrestrials)
2) how on earth do you get sensible comparisons of line profiles and head weights when most manufacturers either hide the info deep within their web-sites or don't publish them at all?
If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're probably doing something wrong - John Gierach

Wildfisher

Going by the Sage TCX I had (and sold)   I'd go up at least one line weight.

corsican dave

what didn't you like about it, Fred? (assuming that's why you sold it)

btw computers really don't like the word "barbel" no matter how many times you type it!
If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're probably doing something wrong - John Gierach

Wildfisher

It was far too stiff and tippy for me Dave.

Lochan_load

I'm fighting the urge to lower the tone here  :lol:

Go To Front Page