News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Boating query question

Started by Highlander, August 10, 2015, 07:28:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Highlander

Something been niggling me, recently I have seen boats & in particular on Loch Lomond with what looks like antennae with an orange coloured ball on top sticking up from the transoms. For the love of me I can not figure what they are for.
also on the River Clyde around Port Glasgow/Langbank south shore & I shall call them piles for sake of argument have what appears to be coloured question marks on top of some of them. What & indeed who are these aimed at. ? I have my thoughts on the second question but stuck with the first one.
Sorry no photos.

Tight Lines
" The Future's Bright The Future's Wet Fly"

Nemo me impune lacessit

haresear

I can answer the first one. The red/orange ball on a boat on Lomond shows that there are lines out the back of the boat. In other words the boat is trolling.

That rule was brought in a good few years ago around the time Lomond was given National Park status. At that time, speed limits were also brought in and powered boats now have to be registered and display their reg. mark

Alex
Protect the edge.

Highlander

Thanks Alex I never thought of that, I knew about the registration & display but not the orange ball. Never had these things when I fished there. God it has been more than a few years now .Not so sure about orange ball idea , who thinks up these things.
Having said that I remember a skier who "picked up" two of my Rappalas & despite me shouting & cursing buggered off with them round his skis before I could get round to him so maybe a good idea but only if they actually know about it & more importantly keep well clear. They did not do so all those years back. Jet Skier's were the worst culprits . I believe some local's kept slingshots in their boat but not something I was party to.
One down one to go which will probably be the harder of the two.

Nemo me impune lacessit

Noddy

The question marks on the banks of the Clyde are Inverclyde artist Alec Galloway's tribute to sculptor George Wylie.  Wylie was the guy who did the straw locomotive which hung from the Finnieston crane.

Jim

haresear

QuoteThanks Alex I never thought of that, I knew about the registration & display but not the orange ball. Never had these things when I fished there. God it has been more than a few years now .Not so sure about orange ball idea , who thinks up these things.

I still have a red WC ballcock stuck on an old rod rest in case the urge to troll on Lomond overcomes me. Tried it a couple of times.

Alex 
Protect the edge.

Highlander

QuoteThe question marks on the banks of the Clyde are Inverclyde artist Alec Galloway's tribute to sculptor George Wylie.

Now I know, the power of this forum thanks for that Noddy & Alex

Nemo me impune lacessit

Go To Front Page