News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Heads up on a good deal for a Bergen for life.

Started by SoldierPmr, August 14, 2015, 06:55:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildfisher

I think it would Robbie, the upper and lower compartments can be used combined as one. 

IMO it's a bit of an overkill if it's just for carrying a float tube. A cheap bag would do that just as well. I have a 30 quid bag I use for that.  :D

rannoch raider

The Bergen pack looks like a quality bit of kit but for carrying a float tube, Chesties, flippers etc , I reckon you would find this (below link) very useful. They are very well made, 100 % waterproof, very roomy for ease of access and they are fitted with excellent padded shoulder straps. The biggest is a huge 125 L and it will carry more than most of us could lift ! it only costs £40 . A lot cheaper than the Bergen and far better for Tube etc. I've owned one and can recommend it. :wink:

http://www.northeastkayaks.co.uk/item/17245/palm-river-trek-gear-carrier-?gclid=CN3hjMfDsscCFSsCwwodvyMHXw

Robbie

I figured that my rucksack will be heaviest when I talk the float tube and that this is when I'd get most benefit from a decent pack. Guess I assumed that a better quality pack would be more comfortable and better for carrying heavy loads over longer distances.

SoldierPmr

Quote from: Robbie on August 20, 2015, 11:17:45 PM
I figured that my rucksack will be heaviest when I talk the float tube and that this is when I'd get most benefit from a decent pack. Guess I assumed that a better quality pack would be more comfortable and better for carrying heavy loads over longer distances.

I've got to admit this is one of the reasons I bought the bergen was to get to the tarns alot easier with compartments with spare kit too.

Wildfisher

You have also to consider weight. The bergen is significantly heavier than an ordinary rucksack. I am very impressed with mine but will still use my lighter sack most of the time.

SoldierPmr

Quote from: admin on August 21, 2015, 11:00:26 AM
You have also to consider weight. The bergen is significantly heavier than an ordinary rucksack. I am very impressed with mine but will still use my lighter sack most of the time.

At my age that doesn't bother me luckily especially after a few years of constantly carrying weight usually around 30 to 40kg wile on tour including body armour it came to 7st.

It's nice to be a civvy and carrying just civilian comfort stuff only brings it up to around 20kg  :lol:

SoldierPmr

Well Bergen is packed for next weekend in some lowland moors and woodland ive packed it for comfort and not for distance and currently stands at 17.6KG not including my food nor dog food but is packed with water.  Luxury stuff includes a 4 man tent, axe, saw, 2 fishing rods (fly kit and spinning kit) sniper matt, 2ltr kettle, jet boil and other random home comforts.

corsican dave

Quote from: SoldierPmr on August 21, 2015, 11:38:58 PM
2 fishing rods (fly kit and spinning kit)
i'd say you've over done it on the fishing kit..... :lol:
If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're probably doing something wrong - John Gierach

Wildfisher

Quote from: SoldierPmr on August 21, 2015, 11:38:58 PM
currently stands at 17.6KG not including my food

:shock:  What are you carrying Liam?   Fishtales manages  a week backpacking in the remote highlands  including all his food for about that weight.

SoldierPmr

Tent takes up a lot of weight as its a big 4 man but I am carrying alsorts I wont Be traveling miles so I've took quite a it of home comforts tools add some weight too. When doing longer trips I'd carry far less weight.

Go To Front Page