News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Morar

Started by Billy, August 18, 2015, 05:55:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Billy

I wasn't sure where to put this but I know that a few of the members are always looking for good campsites.

Managed to get away for a long weekend at Morar in the caravan.

It was a bit of a trek on the Friday as I finished work just before 12 and heading back to Falkirk to load up and pick up the caravan. We had to stop of in Fort William to get some cash and then headed up to Morar.

I had booked us into the Sunnyside Croft caravan site for three nights. It was slightly dearer than normal but the shower block was brand new and the site itself was immaculate. It has a small beach a short walk away and is ideal for young kids if you have any but it was deserted when we went down. An ideal spot for sea kayaking or just messing about.

We had a torrential downpour during the night on Friday but other than that it was a bright and dry weekend.

Our friends arrived on the Saturday morning and we headed to Mallaig to go standby on the ferry to Skye. Luckily we were the last to get on and I managed to book us for coming back rather than the 3 hour drive around the mainland to get back.
It was windy on Skye but we still managed to find a nice wee spot for a picnic with my usual choice of snacks washed down with a bottle of red.

On Sunday morning I had booked the ferry over to The Old Forge at Inverie and the pub for Sunday lunch.

I had wanted to visit it for years and although it has changed hands I wanted to tick the box that I had been.
As we were waiting for the ferry a huge seal popped up just below us and then swam about posing for photographs. This was the biggest seal I had ever seen and must have been the Mallaig resident and feeding off the fishing boats cast offs.

On the way over we had a good laugh with the ferryman and he took us around a couple of small islands to see the seal pups before we docked at Inverie.

The food in the place was great and I had a bucket of mussels followed by a langoustine platter. We also had a load of beer and wine which added to the enjoyment on the way back on the ferry.

We had met a couple from Lancashire and had a few more drinks in Mallaig before saying our goodbyes.

Monday morning saw us pack up and head home in what must have been the warmest day of the year. It was a great day for driving down and across the Rannoch Moor which was looking its best.

A great weekend and I would recommend the camp site if you're up that way.

More photos to follow once I download them.

Billy

Wildfisher

I do like the look of that plate Billy.  :D

superscot

That looks like a feast

hopper

I would love to enjoy a plateful of sea food like that but never know where to start with those dam things  :lol:

emc

Inverie is a lovely place - nothing to beat the langoustine platter and a pint of Corncrake :8)

Go To Front Page