News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Aberdeen

Started by corsican dave, September 29, 2015, 10:53:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

corsican dave

is there anything to interest the WFer in or around Aberdeen this coming weekend? if pushed, I might even consider taking my young nephew to a fishery...... :shock:
any recommendations, including fisheries, most welcome  :lol:

ps a visit to Somers isn't really what I had in mind (although my bucktail & deer hair stocks are running a bit low :roll:)
If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're probably doing something wrong - John Gierach

Wildfisher

Not much I'm afraid and the Don will be closed for trout tomorrow night until April 2016. Apart from salmon and some very expensive trout fishing (up to £35 / day on the Don) the Aberdeen area is a wild fishing desert. Why do you think I moved away?  :lol:

Robbie

To be fair some of the beats on the Don are not that expensive.

Dave what sort of distance from Aberdeen would you consider?

For lochs you could be half way home before you find a wilder trout water. You may find some small streams a bit closer.

Wildfisher

Quote from: Robbie on September 29, 2015, 01:21:45 PM
Dave what sort of distance from Aberdeen would you consider?

Aviemore?   :lol:

Seriously though, after 30 + years up there I really struggle to think of an area with fewer wild fishing opportunities. Most of what there is is either private, expensive or just unavailable to casual anglers looking for a day or two. Even the lowland pike fishing is syndicated or fishing banned on the lochs or heavily restricted. Other that the Don (which will be closed by the weekend) you will have to chance it and  fish without permission for trout, because you won't be granted it. It's not a good fishing area and that's one reason the stocked ponds do so well.

Robbie

Are ticket available on the Urie or Deveron, not sure when the trout season ends on these waters.

You could try:
http://www.ldaa.org.uk/index.php/permits
I've heard the fishing on these waters can be OK  :D

You may also be able to get day tickets on Cowie or Carron in Stonehaven but not sure.

These are not big fish waters but should provide an enjoyable way to pass a few hours.

corsican dave

cheers folks  :D I've got an enforced trip to Aberdeen itself this weekend, with possibly very limited transport once I get there. taking my nephew stockie bashing could be my escape from wandering around the town. any fishery suggestions?
If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're probably doing something wrong - John Gierach

Highlander

Is Haddo fishery still on the go. Not my cup of tea but I have heard that it is a pleasant place to fish & the owner is very amenable. Might be a place to take the youngster.
Tight Lines
" The Future's Bright The Future's Wet Fly"

Nemo me impune lacessit

Part-time

Some salt water possibilities; used to be plenty of flatties at the mouth of the Don; no permit required. May be some rock marks south of the Dee down towards Cove.

corsican dave

Quote from: Part-time on September 29, 2015, 02:47:09 PM
Some salt water possibilities; used to be plenty of flatties at the mouth of the Don

might go for that one, John. any suggestions as to which side of the bay accessibility-wise?

Wildfisher

If you are intending fishing at Don mouth just be sure Jim Kerr or his bailiffs don't catch you. These guys take no prisoners.   :lol: 

Go To Front Page