News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Aberdeen

Started by corsican dave, September 29, 2015, 10:53:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hopper

If you want rainbow bashing Lochter fishery not that far from Haddo if you can't get on there, just outside Oldmeldrum they do a fine plate of soup at lunch time,

Part-time

Quote from: corsican dave on September 29, 2015, 02:54:59 PM
might go for that one, John. any suggestions as to which side of the bay accessibility-wise?

The bit I used to fish regularly as a youngster (over 30 years ago :shock:) was on the north side of the estuary. Heading north on the Ellon road, as soon as you cross the bridge take the road immediately on the right. It's a dead end road and should be somewhere to park along it. Walk down to the sandy beach area at the narrowest point in the estuary just where it enters the sea. Ledgered lug (even garden earthworms) used to be the best for the flounders.

Fred makes a fair point about bailiffs but the place I'm suggesting used to be popular with sea anglers and I'd guess still is - maybe something on the current situation on some of the sea angling forums. I fished there lots (albeit a long time ago) and there was never any bother and I doubt you will get any now unless you bring the double hander and fish with an Ally's shrimp :) 

Wildfisher

You might be OK bait fishing  with obvious sea gear, but anyone fly fishing or spinning is likely to be challenged. Jim Kerr is a fine bloke, I got on OK with him, but he takes no prisoners  with perceived poaching.  There were also issues with neds and junkies around there a few years back.

hopper

What makes the bailiff think you can't catch flatties on the fly, we had a junior years back catch the biggest bag of flounders on a gold head in the sea pool on the North Esk.

corsican dave

cheers folks! i'll probably try lochter or raemoir(?) if I have the young chap with me. otherwise it'll be flatties on the fly, with my running shoes on.....
If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're probably doing something wrong - John Gierach

Wildfisher

Quote from: hopper on September 30, 2015, 10:32:02 PM
What makes the bailiff think you can't catch flatties on the fly

One guy I know was hassled by The Tay Board bailiffs for fly fishing off the beach at Elliot just south of Arbroath near the burn but still in the open sea  (he was after bass). They accused him of fishing  for salmon and sea trout, because, they claimed,  sea fishers don't use flies. There has been a fair bit of poaching there in the past (as there has been in The Don estuary) but this was O.T.T.. He just refused to stop fishing and quite rightly so.

corsican dave

if you see any reports of bailiffs needing resuscitation, they'll have been looking in my fly box  :8)
If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're probably doing something wrong - John Gierach

Inchlaggan

Speaking of bailiffs, Ness and District SFB (never known to spend money needlessly) has bought stab-proof body armour for their bailiffs.
A very depressing sign of the times.
'til a voice as bad as conscience,
rang interminable changes,
on an everlasting whisper,
day and night repeated so-
"Something hidden, go and find it,
Go and look beyond the ranges,
Something lost beyond the ranges,
Lost and waiting for you,
Go."

rannoch raider

The Baliffs of the Loch Lomond AIA are former SAS members. They don't get much hassle! Some years ago the Lomond baliffs had the life expectancy of first world war pilots !

rannoch raider

Fly fishing at the mouth of a river that has a run of salmon or sea trout is going to attract the attention of Baliffs. The same goes for any other method of fishing. The offence is basically 'to fish for or take without lawful authority or written permission' I believe that still applies as does the limit of 'within one mile of the low water mark' of the river concerned.
As Fred says , there is nothing to stop you fishing for other species in this area but the baliffs are quite entitled to check you out and to take action if they feel you are 'fishing for or taking' migratory fish. I would guess that if you were fishing a cast of well known, recognised sea trout flies you may have questions to answer. If you produced a box like Dave's I would think you would be fine. I know of instances where the baliffs have been unconvinced and have seized tackle and summoned the police. The matter would then be left to the PF to decide what the evidence suggests you were fishing for. In the meantime you have no gear and perhaps no car.
I know that in some places they do everything they can to 'discourage' people fishing certain areas of saltwater and sometimes they can be a bit 'pushy' and less than considerate of your right to fish for other species but the action they take is often in response to your attitude towards them when they approach you. 
There is often a ticket that can be bought which will provide the 'written permission' that allows you to take sea trout if you catch one in saltwater near a river mouth.
It is a good idea to phone the baliffs or those who control the water near your saltwater spot. Tell them who you are, what you are driving and that you are after and you will often be allowed to fish without anyone going through your tackle. My experience with them is, If they think you are genuine they are often quite helpful.

Go To Front Page