News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Aberdeen

Started by corsican dave, September 29, 2015, 10:53:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Part-time

I think Rannoch Raider sums things up pretty well. I certainly don't want to cause hassle to any salmon fishing interests/bailiffs and if legally fishing for non migratory fish was likely to cause hassle I wouldn't do it or advocate that anyone else does. On some river estuaries you could be well within your legal rights to fish but to do so would cause trouble if you get in the way of paying guests fishing – so better not to fish there. On the other hand there are other estuaries (such as the Don) where historically locals have regularly fished for sea species well away from any migratory angling interests (pretty much from the first road bridge then upstream on the Don) then fine – but if in doubt ask; in the case of the Don contact the ADAA.

Bottom line is that it's perfectly legal to fish in tidal water/estuaries for non migratory fish in Scotland; just be reasonable about it, make sure you have an understanding of what the law says, and don't (just out of common courtesy) unreasonably disturb migratory fishing interests even if you are entitled to fish there.

It's always possible a seatrout might take the worm you are ledgering for flatties in an estuary but so long as you return it unharmed then no problem; if you knock it on the head you are breaking the law, just as you would be if you knock one on the head that's taken your bait half a mile offshore and miles from the nearest estuary.

There has been, and seems likely to be more soon, legislation restricting how and where people to fish so I'm reluctant to avoid fishing somewhere I have the legal right to fish providing I do so responsibly and don't unreasonably upset anyone doing so. Just because other people have acted irresponsibly or broken the law should also be no reason to restrict my own legal access to fishing. The bit I suggested fishing on the Don estuary I don't believe would cause any upset to the migratory fishing interests but any doubts or concerns contact the ADAA before you fish there.

corsican dave

ended up on a long day trip; Somers was the main benefactor with hobbycraft as a secondary beneficiary. well, give or take Costa coffee.... some seriously good tying stuff in Somers btw  :8)
If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're probably doing something wrong - John Gierach

burnie

Quote from: Part-time on October 03, 2015, 12:52:37 PM

Bottom line is that it's perfectly legal to fish in tidal water/estuaries for non migratory fish in Scotland; just be reasonable about it, make sure you have an understanding of what the law says, and don't (just out of common courtesy) unreasonably disturb migratory fishing interests even if you are entitled to fish there.

It's always possible a seatrout might take the worm you are ledgering for flatties in an estuary but so long as you return it unharmed then no problem; if you knock it on the head you are breaking the law, just as you would be if you knock one on the head that's taken your bait half a mile offshore and miles from the nearest estuary.

There has been, and seems likely to be more soon, legislation restricting how and where people to fish so I'm reluctant to avoid fishing somewhere I have the legal right to fish providing I do so responsibly and don't unreasonably upset anyone doing so. Just because other people have acted irresponsibly or broken the law should also be no reason to restrict my own legal access to fishing. The bit I suggested fishing on the Don estuary I don't believe would cause any upset to the migratory fishing interests but any doubts or concerns contact the ADAA before you fish there.
I have recently caught 2 Sea trout about a pound and a half each beach fishing and returned both back alive, all have asked why, when I explained I was not surprised to hear that all and sundry would have killed and eaten both 'em and plenty have indeed done so.

corsican dave

Burnie, I for one salute you; at the end of the day it's a personal choice & I think you made the right one. but I have a nasty feeling that we're in the minority (not necessarily on this forum, but you know what I mean)
If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're probably doing something wrong - John Gierach

Go To Front Page