News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Loch Lomond: A Year In The Wild

Started by Wildfisher, November 13, 2015, 06:53:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildfisher

Anyone watch this on Channel 5 earlier this week. I thought it was pretty good albeit there was the odd error. Some outstanding footage. It's still showing on "5 On Demand" if you missed it. IMO  it's worth an hour of your life.  :D

http://www.channel5.com/shows/loch-lomond-a-year-in-the-wild/episodes/episode-1-729

free the bees

I thought it was good programme and as you say a few errors.

Surprised that they stated 50 golden eagles are killed annually! 

hopper

Good programme. I would have thought if 50 golden eagles are killed every year we would hear a lot more about it. I did like the bit about the ospreys at the Lake of Menteith then they show carp swimming about in a pond saying it was a rainbow.

Bobfly

There is rarely a mention of the eagle chicks taken from Scottish nests each year and exported over to Ireland (sometimes a dozen a year) ... although any bird claimed to have been killed is always billed as putting the entire eagle population "under threat" and in grave peril.  :? :?  Not that any should be killed of course, just that we do not hear about our export trade.
~  <°))))):><       ~   <°))))):><

Suki1312

As stated the odd glitch . But really enjoyable
Every day is a school day

Wildfisher

This week's episode was not bad. It's heavy on bullshit though. Loch Lomond is about as much of a "wilderness" as Arbroath harbour. I really wish Scottish wildlife programmes would cut that shit out, there is no need for it. It's nice enough as it is without having to pretend it's something it isn't.

haresear

Quote from: admin on November 19, 2015, 10:11:17 PM
This week's episode was not bad. It's heavy on bullshit though. Loch Lomond is about as much of a "wilderness" as Arbroath harbour. I really wish Scottish wildlife programmes would cut that shit out, there is no need for it. It's nice enough as it is without having to pretend it's something it isn't.

That's the only bit that annoys me. The UK has no wilderness, period.

Alex
Protect the edge.

haresear

Protect the edge.

Wildfisher

Quote from: haresear on November 19, 2015, 11:13:17 PM
The UK has no wilderness, period.

The farthest point from a tarmac road in Scotland is around 10 miles. Even that is very unusual, only in one area and is certainly nowhere near Loch Lomond.  All  areas have bulldozed landrover tracks  much closer than that sometimes going right to the hill tops.  That is not wilderness in anyone's book  and I really wish writers and  oudoors people would stop spouting such utter rubbish. The Scottish highlands  are badly degraded suffering from centuries of overgrazing, felling of natural forest, removal of large predators like wolves, misuse, abuse  and over population that the land could not support. This goes way back past the era of that popular scapegoat the sporting estate that compounded rather than created the degradation.  Dams and  water abstraction for hydro power, exotic conifer plantations and hideous wind farms are not found in wilderness areas.

SoldierPmr

Quote from: admin on November 20, 2015, 07:16:40 AM
The farthest point from a tarmac road in Scotland is around 10 miles. Even that is very unusual, only in one area and is certainly nowhere near Loch Lomond.  All  areas have bulldozed landrover tracks  much closer than that very often going right to the hill tops.  That is not wilderness in anyone's book  and I really wish writers and  oudoors people would stop spouting such utter rubbish. The Scottish highlands  are badly degraded suffering from centuries of overgrazing, felling of natural forest, removal of large predators like wolves, misuse, abuse  and over population that the land could not support. This goes way back past the era of that popular scapegoat the sporting estate that compounded rather than created the degradation.  Dams and  water abstraction for hydro power, exotic conifer plantations and hideous wind farms are not found in wilderness areas.

Brambles are though  :lol:

Go To Front Page