News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Wild Fishing Forum's 12th Birthday

Started by Wildfisher, November 17, 2015, 03:48:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildfisher

Members come and go on forums like this for any number of reasons. What I do know for sure is  that in its 12 years it has helped change many people's experiences, mainly through being a platform for like minded people to exchange ideas, meet and even travel together to new places, home and abroad.  If it achieves nothing more from now on, then it's already done enough.

scoobyscott

Well done Fred and all involved. Here's to many more years

bibio1

It's been a great 10 years or so for me. Lots to be thankful for.

Learned a lot and not.just to do with fishing.

Happy birthday.

alancrob

Well done for persevering and sticking to your beliefs Fred.

I think this calls for cake and beer. A small winter stravaig?

Or in lieu of that a small donation towards the next 12 years.

A.

rannoch raider

Congrats to all concerned. I'm still a relatively new guy on here really but in my time using the forum I've had all sorts of helpful advice from a really decent bunch who are far more expert than modesty allows them to say and not a bit of sniping ever. I've had little need to use any other forums.
Good job Fred.

Lochan_load

In two seasons this place has transformed my fishing experiences, expanded my knowledge of Scotland and fishing and helped me meet quite a few strange people with a similar weird obsession with open space and fish.

Cheers

haresear

Quote from: Lochan_load on November 18, 2015, 12:57:37 AM
In two seasons this place has transformed my fishing experiences, expanded my knowledge of Scotland and fishing and helped me meet quite a few strange people with a similar weird obsession with open space and fish.

Cheers

I know what you mean.

I remember when I first discovered the WFF.

I was beginning to think I was the only fly fisherman in the central belt who preferred to fish for wild fish rather than stocked fish, until I found the WFF. :D It was nice to know I wasn't the only wild trout fundamentalist around :)

Alex

Protect the edge.

Billy

I was working in Kazakhstan when I first found it and went to my first stravaig when I got home which must have been 10 years ago.

Reading the reports when you were in the desert was  more than just a little frustrating.

Billy

Wildfisher

Quote from: haresear on November 18, 2015, 01:12:44 AM
I was beginning to think I was the only fly fisherman in the central belt who preferred to fish for wild fish rather than stocked fish

I was beginning to think I was the only one in Scotland.

Magazines and forums were all about stockie bashing with the odd bit on salmon fishing. Fly forums did not exist in 2003, there was a predecessor of it on Proboards run by a guy called Simon, but it was even more hostile and vile than what is there now and was on the point of closing because they owner had enough of the hassle.  Mike Barrio had a very crude and  primitive  text only forum but it was even more restricted, intolerant  and heavily moderated  back then  and almost as comatose as it is now. Then as now anything even mildly controversial was deleted whether it was about fishing or not. To be fair though its propose was to promote Mike's business, not to be a free and open platform for meaningful fishing discussions.

In short there was nothing  out there about wild trout fishing, certainly absolutely nothing in or about Scotland.

The domain used to be wild-fishing-scotland.co.uk  but I changed it to wildfisher.co.uk as I believed the old name was  clumsy, parochial and gave the wrong impression to visitors. However I have kept the old name and will never let it go. It redirects to here.

Over the years there has been the odd imitator sprung up from time to time, but they have failed to enthuse, have died or are still in the process of dying.

JimJams

You're a pioneer Fred! I've found this forum and have had no need to go in search of others.
Everything I need to know is found on here or random internet pages! Even webpages for flytying ideas isn't as extensive as the 'why have you tied today thread' that thread is gold in itself!

Go To Front Page