News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Gumtree Auctions

Started by Highlander, January 07, 2016, 04:53:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Highlander

Whilst I have bought the odd thing in the past & got what I think was a good deal I get dismayed by how some of the sellers show their wares.
Why they post pictures that are so bad it is virtually impossible to see what the actual item is.
For example
https://www.gumtree.com/p/fishing-rods/fly-fishing-rod-/1148034135
To me it is two black sticks. There are many of a similar nature . One guy was selling a "Hardy carbon rod when it was obvious to me it was an older fibre glass version". etc etc.
E bay is sometimes as bad but not a patch on how some posters on Gumtree deal with things.. Pricing is another bone of contention, some items are simply not worth it. There was one recently where a seller wanted £25 for a beat up spinnng reel with a wooden repaired handle, a cheap Daiwa that cost no more than £7 when new. Like wise a Hardy Perfect reel with leather case for an asking price of £900 Now whilst a "good condition" one would command a high price this one was in "poor condition" Ok I realise that some people have certain ideas on what they think their item is worth but if you are "in the know" you soon realise what is what.
Best one a while back was a Hardy St Aiden Reel in good condition which it was went for more than John Norris was selling of new ones prior to them going out of production. A case of the buyer not checking or simply getting carried away with the proceedings.

My take of "making a good sale  on any auction site.

1. A good picture of item from at least two angles.
2. A  true description of item if it has nicks & scratches then say so do not say it is "as new"
3. A sensible starting price & if neccessary a reserve on it to protect yourself from selling too cheap.
4. Realistic P& P not jumped up postage as a way to enhance final amount.
5. Do your homework to see if similar items are for sale & what they go for.
6. Set yourself a top price you will pay & unless you want the item that bad stick to it but having said that if you do miss out at some point another will come along.
   Having said that I have been looking for a old Abu rod a Laplandia 941 but despite a number of years I have been unlucky to see one on auction.
" The Future's Bright The Future's Wet Fly"

Nemo me impune lacessit

Go To Front Page