News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

River Gryffe, no Salmon killed for the next five years

Started by Highlander, January 11, 2016, 04:04:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Highlander

Here is a copy of a statement from The Abercorn Angling Club
QuoteIt has been officially announced that with immediate effect the taking of Salmon is no longer allowed.

This has been implemented within the Salmon and Freshwater Fisheries act Scotland 2003 and therefore means that if caught with any Salmon that have been taken from the river you would be charged with a criminal offence which could lead to you having a criminal record.

This decision has been made for us by the Scottish Government in the name of conservation.

This will be in place for a minimum of five years unless we as a catchment area can show that we met the numbers required to move away from the Category 3.

Knew it was coming but what will this mean to membership indeed how are any of you guys effected. Don't know who in the Scottish Government came  came up with this tosh. Just to let you know the Gryffe has only in the last 10 yars or so "came back" as a migratory river. The committee saw it & encourage anglers whilst by law recording catches but return fish & many do. The river in summer is stuffed with Salmon Parr so much so it makes it difficult to entice the bigger Brownies as the Parr hit the fly as soon as it alights on the water. A few Salmon are indeed taken & these anglers that like to take a fish or two will simply not renew their memberships leaving what could be a big shortfall in clubs revenue. We may have to dispense with a river watcher & in so doing the poacher will undoubtedly return to reap their rewards after all the years of good work possibly down the drain.

Tight Lines
" The Future's Bright The Future's Wet Fly"

Nemo me impune lacessit

bibio1

The whole of the Clyde is in this boat. Came from the EU and is not to be confused with the wild fisheries reform.

There are going to big changes on all our rivers coming in the short to medium term.

A fishing rod will soon have the same status as a television.

Wildfisher

It depends on the river category. For example the North Esk is stuffed with fish  and taking a fish or two there is OK. I do find it a bit sad when anglers start  talking about boycotting rivers because they are not allowed to kill fish  if they are that desperate for  a fish go to the local fishmonger.

Fishtales

By the looks of the map in this PDF the whole of the west is in the same situation.

Page 23 and 27 down.

http://www.gov.scot/Resource/0048/00486109.pdf
Don't worry, be happy.
Sandy
Carried it in full, then carry it out empty.
http://www.ftscotland.co.uk/

Looking for a webhost? Try http://www.1and1.co.uk/?k_id=2966019

Hoolet

Most of my fishing is for Salmon, I've been a member of the Perth & district club and taken season tickets on the Forth and Teith in the past, the changes won't make a blind bit of difference to me as I go after them to catch not kill (do take the odd one now and again though) but I wouldn't be giving up my ticket just because I couldn't kill them. As a matter of fact I'm looking for a club to join out in the east that has some fishing so if anyone can point me in the right direction I'd be happy to hear from them.

Hoolet.
Ye Canny Fry A Rise!

Wildfisher

Let's be honest here, some clubs, syndicates and individual anglers don't put in accurate returns because the  systems punishes them for doing so. Put in higher returns  and you will be hammered. Even returned fish are paid for.  This is nuts and inevitably means that the returns these categories are based on are flawed to start with.

Hoolet

Of course they are, I put my objection into the fisheries review at the time......did everyone else?

Hoolet.
Ye Canny Fry A Rise!

Laxdale

False alarm, apparently. The Paisley club seem to be in their own wee bubble and have only just noticed what had gone out to consultation!

Wildfisher

It's a lot less complicated just being a loch fisher and catching   7 inch trout that no one gives a damn about.  :lol:

Hoolet

I like fishing in Lilliput as much as in Brobdingnagian Fred, just have to leave the double gander at home!

Hoolet
Ye Canny Fry A Rise!

Go To Front Page