News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

River Gryffe, no Salmon killed for the next five years

Started by Highlander, January 11, 2016, 04:04:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bibio1

I've got to say I think a lot of the reforms that are coming are good.

We'll end up with those that love fish and fishing. That's got to be good. Let's face it the management of wild fisheries have been a disaster over the past 50yrs. Self interest has dominated the management meanwhile stocks have plummeted.

Laxdale

That view is a tad naive.
Scottish salmon stocks have held up well relative to England, Ireland and Norway.
The cost to fish can only go up as management is going to shift from the private to public sector.
Nothing will change regarding the management of trout except the cost of fishing for them.
etc

But

The SG caved in and has agreed to allow the Tweed management to remain as is. This was a major climbdown and hopefully the first of many.
The WFR was supposed to be about a move towards more professional fisheries management, but, as can be seen by the shambles that is the methodology behind the CLs, science has nothing to do with it. It is nothing more than a power grab by the SG and their partners in crime, MSS.

fergie

I received my Lomond permit last week complete with 3 tags.
I think it used to be 5 I dont need them.
Two of my customers (older people) are raging at the changes and might not renew their Leven tickets.  :roll:
The llaia really have their work cut trying to change these guys attitude to C+R.

Wildfisher

I understand there will be no kill on The Bervie, it's only Ian that catches salmon there anyway, so it makes no odds to me.    :lol:

bibio1

Salmon stocks have plummeted...that's a fact. The current fisheries set up favours those that have a decent salmon run and does not look at the catchment or indeed environmental factors. The dsfb system has failed and its a complete mush mash. Anything will be better.

The decision to categorise areas in terms of being able to harvest stocks is not related to the wfr. Also the cost and ownership of fishing is not being tampered with. The review is about a catchment wide management system to promote and safeguard the fishery, something dsfb's don't do. It is time to professionalise it...whilst there a a lot of do gooders it's a job that requires a bit more of a structured approach instead of the hobby it is for most chairman.

bibio1

Laxadale,

Where has it been said the tweed will be exempt. I'd be interested in knowing anything about this. The problem with salmon as a national resource is that those areas we have polluted and exploited get no benefit from public funding to improve fishings.

If the tweed is excluded that's a huge hole in the potential finances.

Laxdale

The "hands off" announcement with regard to the Tweed Commissioners was made by Dr Ailleen Macleod last December.
The idea of robbing Peter to pay Paul was dropped some time before that.
I have been told, in confidence, quite a lot of what is going on in the background, and my conclusion is that the raft of proposed changes are nothing more than a power struggle between, on the one hand, SG and MSS, and on the other, Boards and Trusts.
If anglers want to pay more for their fishing, have more regulation and not see one extra fish in any river, then the WFR and proposed Cls are well worth supporting.

Wildfisher

Where it the River Gryffe anyway?  It sounds Welsh.

bibio1

It's also been announced the tweed won't be exempt.  Tweed commissioners can stay tweed commissioners but the tweed will have some form of Fishery Management Organisation.  There is a lot of double speak and those in organisations that are deemed to have there ear to the ground don't in fact really know what's happening. One thing is clear is that no one knows how the funding is going to work. One thing is clear though , it's going to be centralised.

I'd rather that than have the dsfb's run it.

Highlander

QuoteWhere it the River Gryffe anyway?

New Zealand Fred, all the good rivers & big fish are in New Zealand.   :roll:
" The Future's Bright The Future's Wet Fly"

Nemo me impune lacessit

Go To Front Page