News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

River Gryffe, no Salmon killed for the next five years

Started by Highlander, January 11, 2016, 04:04:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

loch coulter

The club of which i am a member voted to return all salmon for the next 5 years, i fish a tributary of the Forth but only for trout, what gets me is that the Forth system has imposed statutory catch and release because of unsustainable catches of salmon, yet the river Teith which is a tributary of the Forth is exempt!, why is the Teith exempt when every fish in it has to pass through the Forth to get there meaning the Forth should also be a sustainable fishery, or is it because the Teith is all private water and MONEY TALKS! hope you get my drift :?

Wildfisher

It must be because the Teith returns suggest stocks are in a good enough state to allow some fish to be taken. Can't be anything else. It's not the owners who make these decisions it's the Scottish Government.

loch coulter

Quote from: admin on January 13, 2016, 09:08:26 PM
It must be because the Teith returns suggest stocks are in a good enough state to allow some fish to be taken. Can't be anything else. It's not the owners who make these decisions it's the Scottish Government.
the point i am trying to make is if the teith stocks are good enough then it stands to reason the forth stocks are good enough as the teith salmon have to go through the forth to reach the teith, meaning there are more fish in the forth than the teith, meaning the forth is more sustainable :?

loch coulter

Quote from: admin on January 13, 2016, 09:08:26 PM
it stands to reason if stocks are good enough in the river Teith then they must be good enough in the river  Forth :?

Wildfisher

That's not necessarily true. Of course the Teith flows into the Forth and so do many other waters, but if some fish take is allowed then the stocks in the  Teith part of the system must be considered healthy enough to stand some exploitation. When a fish is in The Teith it's obviously a Teith fish born and bred in that river, when the same fish  is swimming  past Stirling it could be gong anywhere, it might be a Forth fish where it seems the stocks are not considered to be  healthy enough. The Teith system is very extensive and  perhaps it just produces more fish?  What else could it be?

Bobfly

We had a few presentations from FDRFB staff and the Marine Scotland Forth data set is for the last five years of returns for all twelve main rivers into the Forth. Out of all of the data the Teith/Forth/Allan group account for more than 90% of the total salmon catch (returned and kept) for the entire estuary. The Teith SAC catchment has the most healthy stats and has been given Cat1 status. Soon these  Cat1s will be paying quite a charge I expect !!!
~  <°))))):><       ~   <°))))):><

Laxdale

I am led to believe it is the SAC that has Cat 1 designation. Turns out that goes right to tidal waters..
The dafty board and MSS did not realise this, causing much amusement among some parties.

fergie

Last time I fished the Forth i seen more seals than fish. :?

Go To Front Page