News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

mighty mousin'!

Started by corsican dave, February 05, 2016, 07:31:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

corsican dave

hmm, log jams 'n big lumps, huge boxes & facial hair; what's not to like?...  :8)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYznmv65sDU
If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're probably doing something wrong - John Gierach

tomcatin

Excellent  :D

Quote from: Element on February 05, 2016, 10:59:07 PM
:D That was great - makes me wonder... there were 3 different species taking them mouses; would they work here?

Same thought crossed my mind, I guess Pike wouldn't hesitate but I guess at certain times of the year bigger trout would be tempted?
Sadly my 7' 5 weight that killed fascists is deceased!

So in respect and in memorium, PLEASE DONATE TO AND SUPPORT THE WILD FISHING FORUM

SoldierPmr

I have heard of this being done on mountain tarn trout in Sweden so no reason why it wouldn't work here on some of our larger waters. It wouldn't suprise me if it even worked down at your old open cast site as the avarage size of fish in one of the treatment lagoons is 2 1/2lb

rannoch raider

The wee grayling was being a bit ambitious !  :shock: What is the difference between us and them across the pond that lets their fish grow while ours seem to struggle ?
Anyway, great video! Roll on 'popper season'  :D

SoldierPmr

Quote from: rannoch raider on February 06, 2016, 04:25:33 AM
The wee grayling was being a bit ambitious !  :shock: What is the difference between us and them across the pond that lets their fish grow while ours seem to struggle ?
Anyway, great video! Roll on 'popper season'  :D

I'm guessing a mixture of water Ph, nutrients level (lime stone lochs hold much bigger fish than the rest of our waters), angling pressure and the size of the water.

shad

Quote from: SoldierPmr on February 06, 2016, 09:21:07 AM
I'm guessing a mixture of water Ph, nutrients level (lime stone lochs hold much bigger fish than the rest of our waters), angling pressure and the size of the water.

I reckon its lots of mice :D

Great video, would love to try that.

corsican dave

upper spey, I reckon  :wink:
If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're probably doing something wrong - John Gierach

shad

Dont think trout eat mice much if ever over here, Im sure they would if they got the chance however I doubt it would be a worthwhile tactic for us.

Seems these fish are eating shrews that go in the water from what I read, hence them keying in to mouse patterns.

This one was peckish -

bibio1

I once saw a picture of a trout out of rannoch with a mouse in it. So they do occasionally imbibe.

Bobfly

In New Zealand there are "mouse years" for the trout linked to the mast years of extra heavy tree seed fall and an explosion in mouse numbers. In Alaska there are not really any similar heavy seeded trees, giving something comparable to that seed fall in NZ with their Black Beech, but obviously the trout are tuned in to the voles in Alaska as per the first video from Corsican Dave. Feels like some dark night big beestie flee trials are coming up this year !!  :D :D
~  <°))))):><       ~   <°))))):><

Go To Front Page