News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Looking to buy a 1 man tent and sleeping bag...

Started by sagecirca, June 11, 2017, 06:09:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SoldierPmr

I know I go on about it but to be very light I use a tarp and a bivvy you can fold a tarp into a tent if you use a thumb stick. If midges are bad you can buy a net that covers the bivvy which is almost weightless.

[attachimg=1]

caorach

Quote from: Lochan_load on June 11, 2017, 11:17:47 PM
I can't comment on everything else on the market but I like it and it's a hundred quid,

I have a Banshee as well and it is a good tent especially for the money. It is a lot heavier than my Vaude but for some people the difference in weight isn't going to be that important, it's only important to me because I'm very wee to start with so an extra few pound here and there soon adds up to something that I don't enjoy carrying. Also with its two hoop/pole design I find it easier to get a tight pitch on rough moorland than my Vaude. One other downside with the Banshee that I didn't really consider is the packed volume and it wasn't until I got the Vaude that the value of having a tent that packs away into nothing became clear as you can then go to a lighter rucksack and that adds further weight savings.

However, if you are not going for major weight saving then the Banshee would save you £300+ on the Vaude at full price and that buys a lot of fishing and the Banshee, if you can carry it, puts you in places like this just the same as the Vaude does:

Lochan_load

I don't use mine enough to justify spending a lot and would rather put the money to a #4 Winston ;)
I know it's heavier but i only hike to a loch and camp for a couple of nights so weights not as important as it would be if I was doing a long trek or mountain climb. Must also admit I quite like strapping on a heavy bag, if I'm going for a hike I want to feel like I've done one so I'm defiemetley not the one to comment when it comes to lightweight. The vaude tents seem excellent from what I've seen and what others have said on the forum but it's just out of my price range for a tent. I reckon Vaughans advice is best, the lightest 2 man you can find!

ant0

Another vote for a 2 man rather than 1 man from me (I'd not like to share the "2 man"!) and a vote for the Vango Zenith which is similar type and price to the banshee.  I got a my Zenith 2 man last year after a lot of research and it's ideal for 1 man fishing trips in my opinion and only cost £100.  Good wee porch on the side as seen below

[attachimg=1]

[attachimg=2]

[attachimg=3]

Bobfly

Another point to have in mind is the often very flimsy groundsheets of the ultra-light tents. The total weight is down for a reason and they may pitch nicely on a bit of short clean grass but not on any mixed heathery ground  !!!!  :( :(   

Better to go for good quality under you and a few grammes more than having groundsheet tears and dampness patches.
~  <°))))):><       ~   <°))))):><

corsican dave

QED

30 years old, single-skin Gore and still going strong. not cheap when new. not cheap now. buy cheap, buy twice
If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're probably doing something wrong - John Gierach

Fishtales

I don't know how long I have had my ProAction Tiger Paws, 12 years perhaps a few more? It was £14.99 from Argos and is still going strong. I have a new one, unused and unpacked, in the loft which I bought as a backup, just in case, it was down to £9.99 by then :)
Don't worry, be happy.
Sandy
Carried it in full, then carry it out empty.
http://www.ftscotland.co.uk/

Looking for a webhost? Try http://www.1and1.co.uk/?k_id=2966019

corsican dave

Quote from: Fishtales on June 13, 2017, 08:59:31 AM
I don't know how long I have had my ProAction Tiger Paws, 12 years perhaps a few more? It was £14.99 from Argos and is still going strong. I have a new one, unused and unpacked, in the loft which I bought as a backup, just in case, it was down to £9.99 by then :)
so, you bought twice, then?  :lol:
If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're probably doing something wrong - John Gierach

Fishtales

Couldn't pass up a bargain Dave  :tongue2

I also have two Good Companion tents, the Standard and the Major, that are forty plus years old and still used occasionally if car camping.
Don't worry, be happy.
Sandy
Carried it in full, then carry it out empty.
http://www.ftscotland.co.uk/

Looking for a webhost? Try http://www.1and1.co.uk/?k_id=2966019

caorach

Most of the focus has been on the tents and I can't give any info on lightweight sleeping bags as I have an allergy to feathers and so have to use synthetic, which is never the best lightweight solution. However one thing I might add, and which you probably know, is that the mat is also important and it is worth investing in a good one. When I started at camping at lochs the mat was the one place I invested in "the best" (A Therm-a-rest Neo air Xtherm which was certainly the warmest at that time) while everything else was done on a tight budget and I've no regrets about the mat whereas over time I've "upgraded" most of the other stuff.

Go To Front Page