News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Scottish Game Fair

Started by Wildfisher, June 29, 2017, 08:37:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark

Quote from: Robbie on June 30, 2017, 01:55:45 PM
The distinctly derogatory tone to this applies and very broad brush to a group of people with contains a great number of very pleasant and likable people. Posts of this nature possible say more about the author than they do about the subject.

I agree  :D :D

Wildfisher

I used to go but stopped bothering when they cancelled this event. Not worth going now.  :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqObJtGrKaA

Mark

Robbie

Just been told by my better half that entry to the Royal Highland Show was £28 per adult and parking was an additional £8.  Maybe the game fair isn't such poor value.

corsican dave

well, i can report that the Scottish Game Fair today was a completely different event to the travesty it had developed into over the past decade. the last one we went to was like a rather shoddy garden fete & would have made Fred's descriptions seem complimentary.

whoever is behind the organisation of this one deserves a huge pat on the back & i hope it was successful for them. we really enjoyed ourselves and didn't begrudge the entry fee at all.

it was well laid out and looked every inch a professional event. there were distinct rows of stands, generally rows had a common sort of a theme and there were some pretty big names (haarkila for instance)

fishermans row had a good feel to it and was attended by a good variety of trade & organizations. there were two areas for casting demos (so popular that it was difficult to get a seat in the stand) and the tackle providers had their own (easily accessible) casting areas

good quality food was available and there was a huge range of demonstrations from falconry to log-splitting. the cookery theatre was far more popular than the organizers had expected and could easily have been tripled in size

the traffic management was nothing short of amazing. we arrived at 1130 by which time it was pretty busy. but we drove straight in behind about a dozen vehicles all trundling nicely along at 5mph. no dramas. on the way out at 1700 we were expecting chaos, but no; we were straight out. managed by police & an events management company.

i suppose the best compliment i can pay is that we were there for over 5 hours and when we left we were still keen for more, but we'd had a full day... we will be back next year & i hope it gets even better

ps i picked up a signed copy of John Gierach's latest book. sadly the author wasn't around for a chat....  :roll: :lol:
If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're probably doing something wrong - John Gierach

Wildfisher

Sounds like a great day Dave.   Was there anything in the displays about the cull of  hen harriers and other raptors the event organisers, The Game & Wildlife Conservation Trust, are proposing?

https://www.gwct.org.uk/blogs/news/2017/june/gwct-respond-to-hen-harrier-survey-results/

corsican dave

:lol:

can't say it was something i was looking for, to be honest Fred. the Police Wildlife Crime Unit had a good display and folks seemed to be engaging with them.
If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're probably doing something wrong - John Gierach

Wildfisher

That's a pity Dave,   The  Game & Wildlife Conservation Trust have missed a really great opportunity   to bring this to the attention of the visiting public. Perhaps it was just an oversight.   :lol:

Laxdale

Surprised you were not there manning a stall with the RPUK twonks and the Greens Fred. I am sure the captive audience would have been very receptive to their views.

Wildfisher

Events like that are not really my glass of Dom Pérignon Gordon. I do think however that it is a real shame The  Game & Wildlife Conservation Trust missed the opportunity  to bring their proposed grouse moor raptor cull to the attention of the visiting public.  Never mind though, there are many other organisations out there working on that right now.   :lol:

Go To Front Page