News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Esimating weight when C&R

Started by ant0, August 28, 2017, 10:56:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

corsican dave

sweet!  :8) size of the tail on that :shock:

skinny, tho'... :wink:  :lol: i've had quite a few like that this year
If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're probably doing something wrong - John Gierach

Wildfisher

Quote from: corsican dave on August 31, 2017, 05:23:00 PM
skinny, tho'..

As A.K. Best once said to Gierach - that's why we just measure 'em.    :lol:

ant0

Quote from: admin on August 31, 2017, 05:26:05 PM
As A.K. Best once said to Gierach - that's why we just measure 'em.    :lol:

Aye skinny thing that would be a good fish if it put on some weight, but gave a good account of itself with that tail.  And you may not be able to tell from the photo but this fish was 30" long, honest  :8) 

Wildfisher

This is what makes it all so daft. That is a lovely fish even if it is a bit thin. So what if it weighed a bit more if it was  a bit fatter? It's still the same fish.

ant0

Quote from: admin on August 31, 2017, 06:26:51 PM
This is what makes it all so daft. That is a lovely fish even if it is a bit thin. So what if it weighed a bit more if it was  a bit fatter? It's still the same fish.
Indeed and I tend to rate a fish I've caught by it's colours these days, just as much as size, where a really small fish can outshine a bigger one for me if it has really lovely markings.

Like this wee one:
[attachimg=1]

And this in a different darker way:
[attachimg=2]

Just my own take on things and we all have our own thoughts, but if you're catching then a fish is a fish is a fish, and beats a blank.

ant0

PS: Interestingly those two fish are from the same water which I found odd - until I spoke to an old local guy who's fished it for likely 40+ years and gave me a full and interesting history on it the other day.  The water is fed by two separate burns, one a peaty one and one a stoney gravely one, with the resulting stark difference in colouring depending on which they spawn in. So I'm told anyway.

corsican dave

a belting tail on this one from today. sorry, couldn't find a set of scales anywhere. pound & a half? two tops? 18"
[attachimg=1]
If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're probably doing something wrong - John Gierach

ant0

That's a lovely looking fish and a belter of a huge tail.

Wildfisher

I'd put that one at 6lb 12oz on the Borthwick Scale.   :lol:

corsican dave

they've been fattening up on the daddies the last two weeks. the technique isn't that sophisticated; spot a rising fish then pop out a daddy on a long leader and either get an immediate hit or let it skate around a bit. the latter isn't going to win any friends from the Halford camp but it's arguably no different to swinging flies across a river...  :lol: five or six this evening makes it sound too easy, but i had to do a lot of sneaky-beaky crawling about. MUST do craig-e before season's end....

Go To Front Page