News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Esimating weight when C&R

Started by ant0, August 28, 2017, 10:56:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

corsican dave

here's a goodie on the daddy today. looks a belter don't it? 17" of rippling muscle....  :8)
[attachimg=1]

If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're probably doing something wrong - John Gierach

corsican dave

hmm, maybe not...  :lol:
[attachimg=1]
If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're probably doing something wrong - John Gierach

Lochan_load

Not been mentioned here yet but two pics of the same fish can be so different depending on the angle, zoom, point of reference etc

corsican dave

yeah, but there's no way you could dress this one up as anything other than a skinny bugger.... :lol: shame, as it'd got a wonderful head and the colours were something else. it looked the picture of health other than being completely emaciated. gave a good account of itself, too

ant0

Quote from: corsican dave on September 05, 2017, 08:20:12 PM
yeah, but there's no way you could dress this one up as anything other than a skinny bugger.... :lol: shame, as it'd got a wonderful head and the colours were something else. it looked the picture of health other than being completely emaciated. gave a good account of itself, too
Lovely looking fish though with nice light colouring.
Think of the skinny buggers as powerful lean machines worthy of catching (track and field athletes compared to darts players).

corsican dave

this one had a bit more beef to it
[attachimg=1]

fergie

Any idea why they are so skinny at this time of year Dave. ❓

corsican dave

yeah, it's a bit worrying, isn't it? these fish are from a lochan which was stocked quite a few years ago then left to get on with it. are they just getting old? maybe not enough food to support the numbers of fish as they got bigger? pity, as they were obviously nice looking fish. maybe i should overcome my principles and take the odd one for the pot once in a while?

Wildfisher

Quote from: corsican dave on September 07, 2017, 10:14:35 PM
maybe not enough food to support the numbers of fish as they got bigger?

Parasite infestation? This is not uncommon and some lochs are known for it. I've even seen it in Don trout. 

fergie

I know of a few lochs with skinny trout one is stocked and has resident wild trout it's a case of not enough food to go round.
And another where there is a problem with worm infestation in the older larger population strangely the smaller fish seem in great condition. 

Go To Front Page