News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Esimating weight when C&R

Started by ant0, August 28, 2017, 10:56:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

corsican dave

wow! exciting news! be great to see you up here  :D :8)
If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're probably doing something wrong - John Gierach

corsican dave

it was a tail of two fishes this evening. i forgot the tape doesn't start at 0, so this poor wee soul was actually 18". imagine.....  :shock:
[attachimg=2]

the second one was significantly shorter, but arguably heavier
[attachimg=1]
If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're probably doing something wrong - John Gierach

ant0

Quote from: corsican dave on September 28, 2017, 07:35:56 PM
it was a tail of two fishes this evening. i forgot the tape doesn't start at 0, so this poor wee soul was actually 18". imagine.....  :shock:
[attachimg=2]

the second one was significantly shorter, but arguably heavier
[attachimg=1]

Blimey, that is a long skinny fish right enough  :shock:

Laxdale

You better go and tip a couple of tons of phosphate into that loch.

corsican dave

Quote from: Laxdale on September 28, 2017, 07:50:35 PM
You better go and tip a couple of tons of phosphate into that loch.

that's do-able Gordon as i know the land-owner well & he'd be up for anything that'd improve the fishing  :D i'm no expert on fisheries management so would you care to explain? i'm guessing that adding phosphate would encourage plant growth? 

Laxdale

Indeed. A wee bit of enrichment would do the world of good. Could it be that the loch had an injection of nutrients in the recent past? It would explain the big, skinny fish.

SoldierPmr

Could it be ex stocked fish now suffering from a parasite?

corsican dave

Quote from: Laxdale on September 28, 2017, 08:32:26 PM
Indeed. A wee bit of enrichment would do the world of good. Could it be that the loch had an injection of nutrients in the recent past? It would explain the big, skinny fish.
possible, but that would only be from run-off somewhere. it's fed by a moorland stream and nothing's been added deliberately. close to a road, though. what about winter gritting or chemicals?

Quote from: SoldierPmr on September 28, 2017, 08:35:39 PM
Could it be ex stocked fish now suffering from a parasite?
highly likely. all the fish were originally stocked although they're definitely breeding. i'll maybe have to chap one & have a look-see. parasites ARE one of my subjects...

cheers for the advice so far guys. much appreciated!  :8)

fergie

Heres a trout with a infestation of worms from one of Ron's netting  surveys
[attachimg=1]

fergie

Go To Front Page