News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

msp loch

Started by andy m, September 20, 2017, 06:27:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

andy m

hiya lads see some of you boys mention msp loch thats a new one on me was just wondering where it is located. whats the fishing like permit ect mabe one for next season cheers andy m

Wildfisher

MSP(L)  = Medium-Sized Perthshire (Loch)  =   Loch Benachally above Butterstone.   A name coined by yours truly 10 years or so ago to distinguish it from SPL = Small Perhshire Loch which is Loch Beanie in Glen Shee.  Neither is a great secret.  Both are openly discussed on TBP = The Bear Pit = Fly Fishing Forums ***.

The owner of MSP is weird and if you are not known to him it's unlikely you'll get on. Some of the other guys will have more details, I have not been there for a long time- it's an OK loch, but Beanie is much better. 

*** sometimes also known as   TAODEWFF  = The Abode Of Disgruntled Ex Wild Fishing Forum Members

andy m

thanks fred heard of that loch now, might give it a go if the basil fawlty sound of it owner likes me ha ha. just looking for new waters for next year that are not to far from fife for the day. loch beannie i have read about on the faq sound a good loch although seems to be fished more often these days hope it keeps its decent fish stock cheers andy m

hopper

Was up at the MSP loch last Sunday and had a long chap with the farmers workman who also fishes, he said it is not so difficult to get on as it used to be as the farmer has opened things up a bit.

andy m

thanks tony for the advice on the loch. how much is it for a bank fishing permit  for the day and can you fish right round the loch. do you know how the fish avg has went down a bit over the last 10 years or so. is the bank ok for wading . hopper and yourself say that the farmer boy is not to bad so thats fine then cause i would hate to travel up there and not be allowed on the water, is it a popular loch to fish and is it better going midweek, cheers andy m

hopper

I would always phone the farmer to arrange first, you won't see him out of the house before 9.00am. I have waded the loch in the past and like any hill loch care is needed especially at the bottom end where it tends to be a bit more peaty, yes you can get right round.
If you get a day with plenty of wind get the flies moving across the surface. I think the last time I had a bank permit it was £6 may be £8 now.

Go To Front Page