News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Online permits

Started by Captain conger, October 03, 2017, 11:21:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain conger

I have a thought/question.
I find myself heading to the same spots regularly and it's not always because it's great fishing. It's because I know how the system works,how to obtain a permit and stay out of trouble.
the problem for me is that I find it nearly impossible to find reliable info about permits/regulations without hunting down some hotel or pub or post office which half the time doesn't exist or is closed.
The last thing I want to do is get chucked of a water for whatever reason.
So here's the question.
Would it not be beneficial for angling clubs to have an online permit system? Surely it would bring in more funds for the clubs, encourage more folk to actually buy a permit and generally make it clearer as what's expected on the water your fishing. This wee story is a perfect example of why I think it would work and here's why.
I turn up for a couple of days pike fishing. Arrive at 6am. Set up the tent get the breakfast on and lob in a couple of dead baits. Half way through the bacon rolls a boat with 4 guys comes raging over and they jump out demanding permits and to see all my equipment. I show them my gear and offer to buy a permit for 3 days. They don't have any permits And make me put everything back in the van to head to a post office about 2 miles away to get a permitwhich opens at 9.30. On my return I'm then told I'm only allowed to use marine dead baits. A few hours later problem solved but a problem that shouldn't have happened in the first place.
Solution. I go online and buy a permit at any time of the day before I leave the house. Print it off and when the cops,bailiffs,farmers or whoever wants to see it I have it on site and ready to go. I'm also made aware at time of visiting the site of any regs that the water has, i.e marine baits only. No spinning. Fly only or whatever.
Just seems a bit like the angling clubs are a bit behind on the way the world works these days and with a bit of change they would surely benefit. Anglers would benefit. And hassle like that would be avoided.
This isn't a dig at anyone as the situation was no ones fault but it does put me of just heading of somewhere new. Or is that the plan?

Wildfisher

I agree with you. I set up an online permit system for the LDAA. Works fine, payment is by PayPal.

Many clubs don't even have a meaningful website, far less an online permit system. The real cheapskates rely on Facebook, abode of many total f*****g morons.

Captain conger

Ive just had a look at the LDAA website and thats exactly what I'm on about. 2 mins and i have all the info I need to decide wether thats the place for me or not. Haven't had to dial several non answering phone numbers or hunt for wee shuggy who drinks in the cross keys bar.
Out of curiosity, did you find an increase in member numbers after the website/paypal was made?
Its a bit of a trek for me up in Glasgow but the info required is clear.

Wildfisher

Quote from: Captain conger on October 03, 2017, 02:05:56 PM
Out of curiosity, did you find an increase in member numbers after the website/paypal was made?

You would have to ask Eric (hopper) who is club secretary. I'm not sure, I doubt it would be significant to be honest. We don't sell a lot of day / weekly permits, mainly because there are so few people  in this area go river fishing for trout these days, it's all salmon around here and there are better options for salmon fishing  available.  Shame really, they are nice wee rivers if a bit hard going with the machete  in summer.

aliferste

It is easy for clubs to do through Fishpal and free as well, no commission is taken. That is what we did on the Kelvin!

scoobyscott

Often wondered myself why more clubs don't catch up with the times and get online. Had a similar experience couple of weeks ago when I decided to fish the earn on the Saturday. It was half ten on the Friday night I decided and didn't want to phone the keepers house at that time. Up on Saturday first thing and I set off. Arrived at half nine and phoned as j didn't want to pester him earlier than that. Spoke to his wife who said it was fully booked with salmon fishers. Sandy was on the river so I went looking for him to see if I could get on. Thankfully it was ok and I stayed away from the salmon anglers but if he had said no i would've been a bit annoyed. An online booking system would've been perfect as I don't like phoning people out of office hours for fishing

Wildfisher

The system in New Zealand is an example of how things can be done. You buy one fishing licence (about £50)  that covers you for the season on every water on both islands other than  a few controlled by the Maoris on the north island. The fishing belongs to the people.

That will never happen here, because short of bloody revolution it couldn't.  Nope, I'm afraid we are stuck with what we have. Could have been far, far worse though if the nob-ends  in the S.G.  had not been convinced, by we anglers,   to drop their plans to criminalise unauthorized fishing and hand draconian powers of total exclusion to Their Lairdships.   :roll:

hopper

I have to agree totally with Fred's comments, It makes it so much easier to do a few clicks and you are legal and fishing. I would say day ticket sales are up for this season.
Last Friday I received a phone call two anglers wanting to fish the Bervie, they had bad internet connection so couldn't get a permit didn't want to travel into Laurencekirk for a ticket 20 mile round trip I took them on trust e-mailed them a permit and they paid the permits when they got home on Monday by paypal.
Shows the system works.

Wildfisher

Yes and they paid as they had promised, I got the notification at the weekend!  Good work Eric.

Go To Front Page