News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Am I doing it wrong

Started by Scozzie, November 07, 2017, 09:33:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

haresear

Quote from: rannoch raider on November 07, 2017, 10:04:34 PM
I think it has to be secret squirrel stuff these days Alex. I know lots of places , large and small that were once full of decent pike that are finished as worthwhile pike waters now. It has become a much sought after fish and unfortunately it attract its fair share of bams who are 'only there for the beer' who can't handle them correctly and often leave inadequate terminal gear in them. There are also a great many of our foreign friends who keep them for the table regardless of size.

Tell me about it Jim :roll:
Once upon a time I had a choice of decent to very good pike waters to choose from. We hardly ever saw anyone else pike fishing apart from the English contingent up for their closed season on Lomond. Even in those days I gave nothing away. I once won fish of the week "from a Stirlingshire water". It was Lomond. Well some of it is in Stirlingshire anyway :)
Changed days now.  You just need to google pike fishing in Scotland to see some of the ned numpties it seems to attract. Maybe it is the fact that you can sit for hours drinking and still catch fish that attracts these types...

Alex
Protect the edge.

corsican dave

Quote from: haresear on November 07, 2017, 11:17:24 PM
Tell me about it Jim :roll:
Once upon a time I had a choice of decent to very good pike waters to choose from. We hardly ever saw anyone else pike fishing apart from the English contingent up for their closed season on Lomond. Even in those days I gave nothing away. I once won fish of the week "from a Stirlingshire water". It was Lomond. Well some of it is in Stirlingshire anyway :)
Changed days now.  You just need to google pike fishing in Scotland to see some of the ned numpties it seems to attract. Maybe it is the fact that you can sit for hours drinking and still catch fish that attracts these types...

Alex

don't start me, or i'll have to mention "trad" carp fishers....  :lol:
If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're probably doing something wrong - John Gierach

haresear

Quote from: corsican dave on November 08, 2017, 12:01:11 AM
don't start me, or i'll have to mention "trad" carp fishers....  :lol:

You rebel you :lol:

Alex
Protect the edge.

Scozzie

Great replies not sure now about posting about fishing days might just keep to the rule of if asked give info if not don't and it was a nz forum I'll just go anyway and wander around if I get any fish all good if not I won't be crying going for the fresh air and solitude that's why I flyfish certainly not going with the expectations of 10 lb plus fish and bin bags full

Wildfisher

Scozzie, the best thing about NZ  is the vast choice. Go where you wish when you choose. That as much  as the size of the fish is what makes it special in fact for me it's the most important thing along with the matchless scenery. If it was as feudal, petty and restrictive as Scotland with every laird jealously guarding their own tiny patch I would not go. That said I don't blame the lairds, in their position I'd be the same - in fact knowing what I know about the ordinary angler masses I'd likely be worse.  :lol:

Scozzie

Totally agree as I once owned and operated a fishery in Scotland for many years iv probably seen more bad than good anglers to be honest but I'm too old and set in my ways now to be bothered I used to work in the shipyards and all I longed for at the weekend was peace and quite that's the main reason I took up flyfishing but I will still do a wee report about my trip to South Island can't help myself

Go To Front Page