News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Rib Charter, Ullapool

Started by bibio1, October 19, 2018, 04:14:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bobfly

Yup! That is the solution because any earlier visit would probably be reported by the tour boat birdie folks as soon as tents are seen. Look out for "pre-nesting mating, then egg laying then rearing" which would likely cover about 90 days !!  Going later shows sensitivity. I will have a word with some sea canoeists I know who dodge about locally.
~  <°))))):><       ~   <°))))):><

Inchlaggan

Found this on the web from six years ago-

Thank you for your interest in PI.

I can confirm that yes, indeed, PI remains an RSPB reserve! And RSPB members of staff visit the island annually to monitor the storm petrel colony.

We have removed PI from the reserves section of the website because we felt that its presence in that section of the website would imply that it is somewhere visitors would expect to be able to access in a straightforward manner. In fact PI is a challenging destination and would certainly require persons with a high level of skill and experience in seamanship to safely get ashore (and get back off, of course – given the unreliability of the weather, not something to be taken for granted.)

However the island is, of course, open for those determined enough who wish to make a visit.

All the best

Alan Tissiman

Communications Manager, RSPB North Scotland

Read more at https://ww2.rspb.org.uk/community/chat/f/2542/t/92909.aspx#zEG1if8gl1wDQXcX.99
'til a voice as bad as conscience,
rang interminable changes,
on an everlasting whisper,
day and night repeated so-
"Something hidden, go and find it,
Go and look beyond the ranges,
Something lost beyond the ranges,
Lost and waiting for you,
Go."

bibio1

They're not able to prevent access but that doesn't mean to say we should charge on regardless. These birds have quick breeding seasons so an August or September weekend might be best.

From what I can see there are a considerable amount of kayakers visit.

Wildfisher

It would be the weather that would concern me most  about a visit outwith the summer months. Getting stuck there for weeks would not be much fun. Take plenty of food!  :lol:

bibio1

There's 4 of us so as long as they get to me by the time I've ate the other 3 that'll be fine. :lol:

Bobfly

My pal went across from the coast to the west. Pulled in on the east side. Various bits of ruins. Saw a fin whale, basking shark and a porpoise pod. Fraser Darling lived on there for a spell and wrote about it in his book Island
Years.
~  <°))))):><       ~   <°))))):><

Highlander

Good luck with your endeavours but fraught with problems not least the "Bird Nesting Situation". Late Season August/Sept would be a worry due to chance of inclement weather (wind) in area.
Saw some boats at Scoraig which might be worth a look see bit nearer than Ullapool.

Scoraig: Well maybe not, more likely end up in the Wicker Man
" The Future's Bright The Future's Wet Fly"

Nemo me impune lacessit

Go To Front Page