News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Numbers down ... and down

Started by Bobfly, November 06, 2018, 09:50:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildfisher

Becky's  two grandsons, Finlay - 12 and Caelan - 9 are both keen to go fishing. Especially Caelan, he is daft about it. Thank you Robson Green!   :lol:

I do my best to get them out but it's a struggle finding anywhere where they can just go and fish without a massive palaver with permits and stuff. They are also both quite small and fly fishing is not really the best option for them right now.  In summer the banks of the Lunan are downright dangerous  thanks to the local farmers and general neglect from the local club.

Just try finding somewhere kids can float fish, ledger a worm or spin like we used to when we were kids.  Everything is either screwed up or tied up compared to what it was back in the day. No wonder kids are not fishing. It was even worse up in Aberdeenshire where every puddle has been converted into a pricey stockie bashing venue with a token 6 foot diameter "bait pond" for the kids.

johnny boy

My nephew took up fishing when he moved to Lewis. He lived on the island for about 5 years, sea fishing, fly fishing, fly tying, he loved the lot.

He moved to the Perth area, does not fish at all now, said its all so much hassle that it just stresses him out, we are indeed luck to have so much available on our doorstep.

caorach

Quote from: johnny boy on November 06, 2018, 10:19:43 PM
My nephew took up fishing when he moved to Lewis. He lived on the island for about 5 years, sea fishing, fly fishing, fly tying, he loved the lot.

He moved to the Perth area, does not fish at all now, said its all so much hassle that it just stresses him out, we are indeed luck to have so much available on our doorstep.

Yes, I think that is one of the key reasons I traveled the whole way to Lewis to fish. In the end I enjoy the freedom to, basically, go where I like and do what I want without various people in yellow waistcoats with clipboards having an interest in my life. I don't need to plan getting a permit, or parking, or anything other than having the rod and reel in the back of the car when I drive off in the morning.

Fred is asking "what's the point?" but I think, as others have said, that the point in fishing isn't only about fishing. I often walk a lot when fishing, some days I enjoy that, or I'd take photos, or look at moss, or kill hundreds of hen harriers, or look at shielings, or look at stone circles or... It is impossible to quantify as some days when I go fishing I do fish for most of the day but on the majority of days the ratio of fishing to other stuff isn't great. Again I guess it is a lot easier to become diverted when there are 2000 lochs and the fishing is free than if you've paid a fortune and have restricted access etc. It is good to give kids the chance to get into that sort of stuff.

It is also handy that I am, basically, incompetent and so it isn't in my interest to expect to catch anything or to get too worked up about catching something, this makes for a pretty relaxed fishing experience :-)

Wildfisher

Quote from: caorach on November 06, 2018, 11:14:05 PM
the point in fishing isn't only about fishing.

Absolutely true for me too. However it is possible to get everything you get out of fishing except the actual fishing without fishing if you follow me................  :lol:

It's like moving from catch & kill to catch & release - it feels odd to start with and  takes a bit of getting used to but one day you realise you are enjoying yourself just as much without it.

arawa

I know what you both mean. For me these days fishing is partly an excuse to spend a day in the hills. But if I go out without a rod the trout always taunt me with the most phenomenal rises  :roll:

Wildfisher

Quote from: arawa on November 07, 2018, 06:37:27 PM
But if I go out without a rod the trout always taunt me with the most phenomenal rises  :roll:

I know that loch ....................................   :lol:

Captain conger

Never mind the weans. I continue to threaten to go somewhere different every time I come back from a trip from my usual haunts but trying to find permit info can be a wknd research job in itself.

Then there's the rules.
Ne spinning on a Sunday......
Ne wading on a Tuesday except if you've got chesties on......
Ne this or that on a Wednesday except if it  falls on a Thursday......

It's going the same way as bowling clubs.... yes we have cheap drink but you canny come in unless you obide by some medieval rule book created by some clown that likes it that way.

Can't we all just go fishing, have a beer and don't be a dick?
Apologies for the offence that I have probably caused to any bowling club members.

Wildfisher

:lol:

You have it just about spot on mate.  :lol: 

Every time I'm in NZ and experience the freedom just to go fishing anywhere I like the  Pythonesque absurdities of fishing here at home is driven home again and again.  :lol:

johnny boy

There are still a few places in the UK where you have just as much freedom, maybe your inability to realise that is why you group the whole UK fishing scene as useless and destroyed.

Robbie

Was just thinking the same or that I must be wandering different hills.

Go To Front Page