News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Community landlord?

Started by Laxdale, December 12, 2018, 09:26:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Laxdale

If anyone thinks getting rid of nasty rich landlords, and having a community owned estate instead, is the way forward read the following-

http://www.hebrideswriter.com/2018/12/10/who-is-your-landlord/?fbclid=IwAR0w2E2HUxEcLtxLDLhvIamXYGWPuq307D4MDCKshrVw_laWoWS16C21dJY

No matter who is in "control", it will always be about the £££££s

Wildfisher

For sure, these community buyouts are no panacea and can be very bad for access. Try walking along or bank fishing the north shore of Loch Tummel. Fragmented ownership, walls, jetties  and barbed wire fences.  Much easier to roam when it's all owned by some absentee landlord who visits twice a year for the grouse and the stalking.   :lol:

Things change though. This is just another chapter in the long history of ownership of Scotland's impoverished, largely worthless uplands and most people with no political axe to grind could hardly care less. It has zero impact on their day to day lives. Good headlines though!  :D

Laxdale

Quote from: Roobarb on December 12, 2018, 10:30:27 AM
Meanwhile on South Uist Storas can't afford to buy shot gun cartridges for goose shooting and haven't paid the angling club it's share of the ticket sales for two years.
But fear not after a period of drifting leaderless we have a(nother) new CEO starting in January. Rumour has it he has been put in place by the Scottish government to sort out the shambles and save face after millions of public money were poured into the biggest community buyout. He is also said to be coming with a big dollop of cash from the tax payer...

Andy

I remember running one of the previous owners of S Uist to the airport after a fishery board meeting. We discussed the community buyout. He was a VERY happy man.

Wildfisher

Quote from: Roobarb on December 12, 2018, 10:30:27 AM
Rumour has it he has been put in place by the Scottish government to sort out the shambles

Well now that should work out well.   :lol:

Bobfly

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

I am amazed that anyone would now make any valuable gift to a museum, for instance, now that it is clear that whatever is stated in any "conditions" that will almost certainly be overridden/amended/disregarded/removed or otherwise rendered useless by the receiving Trustees in which responsibility is vested. Anything with a political involvement will be fuxxed up in spades at the taxpayer's expense.
~  <°))))):><       ~   <°))))):><

caorach

I think it is fantastic, I'm looking forward to seeing the town all decorated up for Chinese New Year. I've got to say it is going to put more pressure on the kids now they have to learn English, Gaelic and Cantonese in school so that will be a down side. However, there is a certain irony in seeing the most racist and xenophobic democratic government in the world selling their country to the Chinese to try and push the English out. Most remarkable on that account. :-)

johnny boy

When Point Power held a meeting with Sandwick resedents we were asked to lease our land to them for a long time for a pittance. I pointed out at the meeting that they should consider what would happen if we rejected the derisory offer and went ahead with a similar project on our own.

A well know figure at teh top table angrily replied that he had spent 3 years on this project and would resign if such a motion was even considered, I told him to go ahead, he lived in our area and wanted another area to profit it at out considerable expense.  I didn't go as far to tell I didn't care about his feelings if he didn't care about his community.

Gordon is right, when £££££ is involved people become something else.

Wildfisher

One thing you can be certain of and that is people  are just people. As soon as money and self interest are involved most can ditch their "principles"  with astonishing speed. That's one reason we humans are top of the food chain.

The old comedy parody  of  "The Red Flag"  song  still rings true today.  "The working  class can kiss my arse I've got a foreman's  job at last."     :lol:

Go To Front Page