News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Fish farm pesticides polluted lochs

Started by Hill loch gold, May 24, 2020, 07:34:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hill loch gold

https://theferret.scot/formaldehyde-pesticide-fish-farms-lochs/

I used to fish loch damph in wester ross regular and it is on the list of lochs polluted. I wonder if this coincides with the disappearance of the big fish the last few times we went, many of which hung around the cages. If you read through that, it tells you the pesticide used killed everything in 1 loch.

Wildfisher

Smolt  farms at both ends of the loch I guess it was bound to happen sooner or later. Pre salmon farming it was one of the best salmon and sea trout lochs in Scotland if not Europe.

fergie

To my Knowledge they have been using formaldahyde on the Lochaber lochs fish farms for at least 20 years.

Hill loch gold

Quote from: admin on May 24, 2020, 08:14:56 PM
Smolt  farms at both ends of the loch I guess it was bound to happen sooner or later. Pre salmon farming it was one of the best salmon and sea trout lochs in Scotland if not Europe.

Aye, i can mind alistair the old ghillie said it was a tremendous salmon and sea trout loch back in the day fred, every bit as good if not better than maree in his opinion.

Wildfisher

It was arguably the best in the entire H&I. Dead man's shoes stuff at peak season. The river was fabulous too. I remember having a few pints with a couple of ghillies in the bar at Torridon back around 1979 or 1980. It was early September and the catches  they and their clients were enjoying were jaw dropping. All we could afford was trout fishing on the hill lochs and the bastards were taking the piss. Great lads though. Genuine locals who enjoyed a dram or two.   They put me on  to some very good trout lochs.

Great memories. I remember on the same trip wandering down to Lochan an Iasgair at the top of the Torridon River it was moving with fish and some slabs among them.  After the salmon farms in Loch Torridon the fish completely disappeared. It is a national disgrace what happened to these fisheries and still it goes on.  :(

Bobfly

The badly affected loch was Tralaig between Oban and Kilmelford.  The other lochs are amongst more than 150 where formaldehyde is used as also at marine sites like Loch Etive. Nasty stuff.
~  <°))))):><       ~   <°))))):><

emc

And we get our knickers in a twist about chlorinated chicken from the USA. I remember my post at the chlorine wash tank in a chicken factory in the 70's.

I only eat British chicken and as for salmon in this country, only if it's wild.

Rare as hen's teeth, of course. :roll: :roll:

Fluffflinger

Gutted to hear this. 

I have been off the radar for awhile as I am now partially disabled but was planning to fish Damph next year.

Best

Richard

Go To Front Page