News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Double hooks

Started by johnny boy, August 26, 2020, 05:38:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnny boy

Hi, looking to see if anyone knows of where I can get double hooks at a decent price. Most of what I am seeing is about 90p to £1 per hook, before I splash out I thought I would ckeck if anyone has any recommendations first.

Looking to tie salmon flies such as shrimp patterns etc

Laxdale

I have asked the question of which is best for slow moving pools or lochs. These guys have trade accounts and can get 50% discounts off retail prices for hooks.....

Laxdale

VMC are "ok, cheap and cheerful but a bit soft.....but theres not many big fish up your way"

https://uk-hooks.com/details.php?selected=63

I used to use the Kamansan doubles when I was tying, but I was a bit surprised to see how much they cost now!

johnny boy

QuoteI have asked the question of which is best for slow moving pools or lochs.

I have posed the same question and have been moving away from the low water profile over the last few years as I prefer a bigger gape on my hook.

What's your preference now?

Laxdale

You can get away with Salar/Patriot and Ahrex if you are stripping quickly, but I still think the Kamasan doubles are pretty good all round hooks. ....I will not have a Big Mouth type double hook on the line.
Wee Tony says Partridge Wilson or code Q would be his favourites for the job. (But he has a shed full of every hook made since 1900 and he would say that!!)

johnny boy

I prefer normal doubles for flies such as a Park Shrimp, preferring the smaller gape of a low water to Stoat type flies.

That said if you look in my box I am sure you will find many flies that contradict the above statement 🤔

Go To Front Page