News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Floating line advice

Started by Troot, November 20, 2020, 07:28:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildfisher

If you want to go cheap these are worth a try.  1/3 of the price of Barrio lines.  No fancy boxes and spools to bin either and welded loop built in.  I tried one years ago and it was as good as any other cheap line. Caimore do decent budget gear, great fly boxes too.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Voodoo-Fly-Line-Caimore-Weight-Forward-Floating-Choice-Sizes-/110830346405?var=&hash=item5f7a703b5a

Highlander

" The Future's Bright The Future's Wet Fly"

Nemo me impune lacessit

Laxdale

I still use a Wetcel 1. Seen better days, but still useable!

Wildfisher

There used to be another seller on Ebay who did his own lines. Made in the same factory as Barrio lines but much less expensive at  well under £15. Kinnkele I think he was called or something like that. I bought a few of his HD lines and they were very good.

zeolite

I bought a Wulf TT in 2002. I still use it as my main #5 floater. Some wear but I consider it supreme value.
Schrodinger's troots pictured above.

Hill loch gold

Snowbee lines are quite good and not too pricey.
I also have lines from loop, wulff, rio etc but the price of some of these lines now is getting out of order   :shock:

caorach

Quote from: Hill loch gold on November 22, 2020, 03:21:13 PM
Snowbee lines are quite good and not too pricey.
I also have lines from loop, wulff, rio etc but the price of some of these lines now is getting out of order   :shock:

I agree, over maybe the last 5 years I've been using the Rio Versatip line as I really like being able to change tips when it suits me and in a few seconds plus not needing to carry extra reels or spools or whatever. However they are now £179 I think!! I mean, for a bit of string? The other thing is that I don't get to fish that much, I only fish when I'm on Lewis and even there I have lots of other things to do as well, and I'm on my 3rd of those Rio lines in the approx 5 years I've been using them, the previous 2 simply wore out.

arawa

If you fancy a SA line, Glasgow Angling Centre has some very decent sale prices on just now for a wide range of Scientific Angler lines.
I really like the Sharkwave (but noisy when shooting though) that is on sale.

Suki1312

Quote from: Laxdale on November 20, 2020, 09:50:28 PM
I got two and a half seasons use out of a Barrio floater. That is with zero line care  You can buy three for the price of a Rio line .

Only snag just now is Mike at Barrio is struggling to get stock in . His lines are constantly out of stock just now . Snowbee lines are good . But if you want to spend a but more Rio lines are as good as it gets .
Every day is a school day

Wildfisher

Quote from: Suki1312 on December 12, 2020, 07:13:22 PM
But if you want to spend a but more Rio lines are as good as it gets .

You get what you pay for. I have 2 Rio Gold - 4 and 5 weight. They have lasted for years. Assuming you don't stand on them with tackety boots you will get more casts per £ than with cheap lines. They are expensive though.

Go To Front Page