News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Attitude

Started by Wildfisher, March 04, 2021, 09:43:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildfisher

I have to admit that my attitude – or perhaps better my - laid back approach to fishing mystifies, or perhaps even appals  some people. Although like most anglers I'd rather catch fish than not, it's not for me the be all and end all.

Often I'll spend at least as much time sitting and watching life go by as I do actually fishing. Taking photos, drinking tea etc are as much a part of the day as catching fish. Occasionally  I get so comfy I even fall asleep. It brings to mind a line of a poem from my school days:

"What is this life if full of care we have no time to stand and stare"

Now and then I arrive at the riverside, look at the water and feel it's just not right today so don't even bother fishing at all.

Sometimes I feel like having a pipe to smoke would just complete the picture in a Jack Hargreaves sort of way.

A disgraceful attitude?

Am I alone in this?

Is your attitude that bad?   :D

Stonepark

No, you are not alone.

Taking time out to relax and watch is part of fishing for me as well, camp stove and hot drink whilst waiting for the time that feels right to fish, rather than work at it all day.

I dare say on "another" forum, the competative fishers would be out in force, aghast at spending fishing time, not fishing but the birds (especially raptors but also fire crests etc), mammals, (beaver todeer to mink etc) and insects such as dragon flies and butterflies that are present on river banks keeps life interesting and reminds me that not all is lost in the humdrum of modern life.
"Just My Tuppenceworth!"

burnie

I still work harder fishing than I ever did for an employer, but I do manage a lay about a lot when on the river bank lol.

arawa

I think I have posted earlier that being out on the hills is more important to me than actually fishing these days. If there are no fish moving I will usually sit and watch the world go by as I make a cup of tea. Quite often while doing this I will spot a fish rising somewhere on the loch.
The strange thing is that I seem to catch as many fish as I used to do when I flogged the water from arrival to departure time at the waters edge.

Laxdale

I go fishing for exercise and to clear the mind.
But as I get older, I realise that part of fishing is watching (whether sitting or standing) and picking the right moment  to fish, and where to fish. This applies both with beach fishing and salmon chasing.
A friend who is no longer with us used to drive the guides on the Kharlovka daft. He was on holiday and would just shoulder arms and snooze when the fancy took him. The guides had a "try harder" and "change fly" (every third cast) mentality and were totally focused on catching. They could just not understand that he was not that bothered with numbers of fish caught. 

Bobfly

Yo ... Easy Maan ... Das Da Ting .. Take If Reeeel Easy !! 
Legalised spiffs for the recreational angler. That is what is required. Watch the world go by and enjoy the day.
~  <°))))):><       ~   <°))))):><

Wildfisher

Yep, that's a good attitude Philip.  :lol:

Go To Front Page