News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Beaver Destruction

Started by Wildfisher, April 08, 2021, 03:42:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildfisher

The attached picture shows one of about 50 recently felled deciduous trees at a local loch this afternoon. These are only the ones I saw from the path, there are likely many  more out of sight.

If this is typical then it's small wonder landowners are getting pissed off with this - Scotland does  not have a large extent of natural deciduous woodlands - certainly not enough spare to cope with this rate of destruction.  This is not North America or Scandinavia.

Just a week ago my pal  (with me today) was at the same place, he said there were only a few  trees down. This is less than a week's work. The felling appears to be totally random. They don't need dams this is a loch.

Is this what happens  when one dimensional urban idiots take over government and make decisions over  matters on which they are clueless? Bearing in mind the recent expensive, wasteful and disastrous Wild Fisheries Review that certainty that appears to be the case in Scotland.

This is going to end in tears.

[attachimg=1]

Terrier

Can't walk along any river, burn or Loch without signs of beavers here in east Perthshire. But they've been on the go here for 10 to 15 years since escaping from Bamff, Alyth.
From Mill Dam above Dunkeld, to the burn running through the middle of Coupar Angus. Wee Rae Loch is so high it's often onto the road due to beavers dams. Fruit trees damaged down near Errol.

I wouldn't like to put a number on how many there are now.

Bobfly

It will be quite a good few years ago that I put up similar pictures of the felled trees and dams on Bamff Estate. It is from there that the owner was mysteriously unable to contain the beavers he had on licence with that containment condition. What you have just seen is now commonplace. Near Dunkeld there is someone who keeps a chainsaw in their car in order to keep their access road clear.
~  <°))))):><       ~   <°))))):><

Terrier

Quote from: Bobfly on April 08, 2021, 04:19:02 PM
It will be quite a good few years ago that I put up similar pictures of the felled trees and dams on Bamff Estate. It is from there that the owner was mysteriously unable to contain the beavers he had on licence with that containment condition. What you have just seen is now commonplace. Near Dunkeld there is someone who keeps a chainsaw in their car in order to keep their access road clear.

Bamff are currently doing a crowdfunder to increase their 'environmental restoration'! 🙄

Bobfly

Is that for more widespread beaver habitat ... ? The owner would argue that he is restoring things to what he believes things were like and to what he would certainly like ! I wonder what his neighbours have to say.

Wildfisher

Could landowners  be able to sue the Scottish Government for causing damage to their property and interests through reckless and irresponsible policy?

Bobfly

Nope ... they had some form of fairly wide consultation and were also advised by their official wildlife and conservation experts in SNH. They were here before and deserve to be back in their homeland, even though is has hugely changed !!

caorach

Quote from: admin on April 08, 2021, 06:13:29 PM
Could landowners  be able to sue the Scottish Government for causing damage to their property and interests through reckless and irresponsible policy?

This is precisely the problem:

firstly very few people can afford to sue "the government" as the government effectively have infinite cash with which to fight a court case whereas most private individuals don't. In these situations the government simply string the case out until the private individual runs out of cash or requires a judicial review to progress and can't afford that either.

Secondly government money is just that in the sense that it doesn't come out of the pocket of the nutjob that came up with the good idea in the first place.

It is clear to me that what needs to happen is that the risk must be defined and a value needs to be put on each aspect of that risk and then the person with the good idea must put up the cash to the value of the potential risk over, say, a 10 year period. This money must be put up in advance and compensation is paid from this fund. The law needs to be "tilted" towards any claimant - so if the nutter wants to release beavers and someone claims for damage to trees then as "damage to trees" would be been defined in the "risk assessment" and would have been costed so if they nutter doesn't want to pay up then they must prove that the damage couldn't possibly have been caused by the beavers. Under these circumstances the person who wants the change pays for it, and for any damage, and the change presents little time or financial overhead to those who suffer as a result, or to the tax payer.

Laxdale

"
Robert Kellie
Gordon Mackenzie on our river they ( nature Scotland) have been live trapping beavers and sending them south , however we know that some animals have Turned up at a water supply ( lintrathen ).
And the black van they use to transport the beavers has been seen in this area and new tree damage has been found in areas where beavers were not seen before .
Imagine letting them out at a public water supply knowing that they could potentially be carrying two diseases that affect people , Scottish water need to wake up to this"

"Robert Kellie
Adrian Blundell I believe that two of the beavers that were illegally let out have been tested positive for two diseases ( NFU) leptospirosis and Giardia , what have these people done 😞"

"Robert Kellie
Gordon Mackenzie I did put in a freedom of information request too nature Scotland , and the reply was interesting , they ( nature Scotland ) said that the information I requested was and I quote . . WAS TO SENSITIVE TO SHARE AT THIS TIME 😳"

Unreal. But they are getting thinned out on a fairly reglar basis, and I still think Tonk Black was right hen he said two years ago that within 10 years people would be getting employed to shoot beavers.
Just the usual rewilding.....a wonderful idea except for those that have to live with it!

Wildfisher

Beavers are a lot farther east than  Lintrathen. The mass tree felling I saw today was at Kinnordy and there are beavers in forfar Loch which is directly connected to The Tay via The Dean and Isla.

Go To Front Page