News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Rewilding - the other side of the story

Started by Wildfisher, April 28, 2021, 09:10:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildfisher

What actually benefits  tourism is difficult to pin down. These astonishing figures that get bandied about I suspect are in part wishful thinking and a means of justification. Perhaps more so in some areas than in others. For example I know lots of folk who visit Mull regularly precisely because of the wildlife - seals, otters, golden and sea eagles etc.  Similarly I don't know anyone who goes to Mull for the fishing. 

Sight seeing, hill walking,  mountaineering and the beloved NC500 are probably  the biggest drivers of Highland tourism - how much money they bring in is another question.

Bobfly

Value estimations are fraught with overlaps I reckoned having spoken to data collectors assessing forestry values eg. mountain biking trails and so on. Each clipboard data collector asks where are you from, you say Edinburgh or wherever, they ask how far is that, you say 150mls, they write it down and attribute a travel and time value, plus ticket or permit charges etc. etc.  Actually you are up for 3 days and did four things the day before and will do 2 things that day and your mileage that day was 8 miles and the whole trip really should go over many activities and, by the way, you do not attribute any extra because you happened to go through Glencoe.
~  <°))))):><       ~   <°))))):><

Go To Front Page